advertisement

Record and book shops in New York - Recommendations

gordonscobie

pfm Member
I will be heading to New York next week and was looking for recommendations for record shops to visit - and also second hand bookshops.

Thanks,

Gordon

Been a while since I have been as well, but the large independent Strand Bookshop is still going. New to rare and collectables. I picked up some good S/H photography books the last time I was there.

Unfortunately I think most of the great record stores have closed down over the years. Last time I went to Bleecker St there were no record stores left at all. Academy Records is on 18th Street and, if you're into Jazz, the Jazz Record Center is an experience. (https://www.jazzrecordcenter.com/). Rough Trade is up in the Rockefeller Centre now. Still some useful stores in Brooklyn I think.

If you look at ken micallef on youtube and search his channel for NYC he's done a tour of many of the record stores over the past 3 or 4 years. Obviously these things are quite fluid...

Rock and Soul on 35th or 37th. Rough Trade up by Central Park. TBH haven’t found much else on Manhattan.

advertisement

Back