advertisement

Recommendations for a bulletproof speaker placement method

Eoin

pfm Member
Just looking for a good speaker setup guide- I’ve heard of a few but if anyone can recommend a method or guide would appreciate. Made up suitable cables for the Ruark’s and it’s time to get them properly placed.

Thanks.

My speakers are on wall brackets either side of a large wall unit. So in the corners of this small 9' x 12' room. They've been there for decades, they can be rotated slightly, either laterally or vertically.

It doesn't make a lot of difference to me if they aren't in the ideal position. It's the best place for them.
I'm not in the habit of letting "kit," dictate the configuration of stuff in this room. That to me would be unacceptable.

I’m ok, I’ve got room to manoeuvre. Looking to get the best from these Ruark Crusaders

Most of it is having the guts to experiment.
The best method I know is 'Don't take any sh@t from SWMBO'.
Get those puppies out into no-man's land. Away from side walls and rear wall. Move them back progressively until the bass becomes overpowering - then get them back out to where it was sweet.
No one talks about gear-positioning but if you want my hapeth, and after a few glasses of red, youre going to have it, don't put gear/chairs/ the mother-in-law in between the speakers.
No one talks about the listening chair. Get it out in the middle of the room and go back until you lose the 'room is a pair of headphones' effect. then go back forward. If that makes any sense.
I am not going to talk about room treatment because I would get shot down. But you really want it and it can be done for cheap, made to look good (practically invisible) and for a fraction of the cost of any component you can think of that you might be tempted to purchase to solve a problem with your hi fi which is, in fact, a problem with the room.

Yiu
Just looking for a good speaker setup guide- I’ve heard of a few but if anyone can recommend a method or guide would appreciate. Made up suitable cables for the Ruark’s and it’s time to get them properly placed.

Thanks.
Your ears

Sumiko Masterset, it’s not fool proof and no good for boundary designs but I’ve found it useful for getting started. I found Herbie's gliders useful for making the fine adjustments, bare spikes not so much.
Unlike the balance control you can have two off centre listeners with their own soundstage when it works.

Get a copy of a book called Get Better Sound. The guide in there has consistently produced the best results I’ve been able to muster in any room I’ve configured a stereo system. Room treatment is also essential to getting the best out of your equipment.

as a(n umpteenth) useful guide ;):
- IME speakers work better if placed on (more precisely, before) the longer walls
- then, divide the hence-got length (i.e. it's the original width of the room, basically) by 5. leave 1 unit behind the listening seat, 2 units behind the speakers (thus, you have 2 units in between the listening position and the speakers), and start micro-positioning. perfecting the Sumiko procedure is much easier after this - good luck👍

I watched the speaker/listening position video tutorial below last night and it's one of the easiest to follow I've ever seen and one which promises to deliver if the comments are anything to go by. It's similar to a number of videos I've seen before but I think the crucial factor in this guide is that you bring the speakers out as far as they'll go, right up to your couch if possible, and then work your way backwards from there. This is because the optimal placement for your speakers is often much farther out than most people think let alone dare to try.

I've already pulled my couch out so that my ears are a third of the way into the room and the bass response seems much more even, much less boomy than before, so I'm gonna follow the guide re speakers and see how it goes. It might well be that the optimal placement in my room is one that sounds the best but looks the worst.

Fwiw, I've got my speakers firing across the width of the room, which is only 3.25m across, so the best setup for me will almost certainly end up looking as daft as anything. But if it sounds great...

advertisement

Back