advertisement

Recommend to me a concert DVD

Eric L

pfm Member
What has impressed you? What should every collection have? My musical interests are fairly broad.

Looking for quality concert or live-performance based dvds here, not music video compilations or documentaries.

I finally put a big plasma between my speakers a few months ago, and I am enjoying it more than I expected to. My concert collection is still small, but some early standouts for me include:

Sigur Ros: Heima
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
The Black Keys: Live at the Crystal Ballroom
The Band: The Last Waltz
Grateful Dead: The Movie
The Led Zep set with the '70 Albert Hall show

Klaus Schulze & Lisa Gerrard - Rheingold Live at the Loreley.

Basically Live electronic noodling with Lisa's amazing voice improvising over the top. It was all mastered at Peter Gabriel's Real World studio and sounds fantastic!

TRAILER

Hi
Boz Scaggs, greatest hits live has great songs, a fine band and performance and the sound quality is excellent (if you like Boz obviously).
Regards
Jim

Klaus Schulze & Lisa Gerrard - Rheingold Live at the Loreley.

Basically Live electronic noodling with Lisa's amazing voice improvising over the top. It was all mastered at Peter Gabriel's Real World studio and sounds fantastic!

TRAILER

That looks quite interesting - i had a bit of a Dead Can Dance thing in the 90s and haven't kept up with Lisa Gerrard. Do like her voice and made up language.

Cesare

Miles Davis - Electric Miles (A different kind of blue). Starts with a doc but concludes with the unedited 'Call if Anything' live set from the Isle of Wight 1970. Awesome.

Pixes - Pixies (Live set from the Town + Country Club May 1st 1988)

Oh and someone should reissue Big Black / PigPile (currently ancient VHS or bootleg only)

Hi
Boz Scaggs, greatest hits live has great songs, a fine band and performance and the sound quality is excellent (if you like Boz obviously).
Regards
Jim

Yes I have this too, great picture sound and performances from all the musicians.

Return to Forever - Live at Montreux came out a couple of weeks ago, available on blu ray as well. Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola, Chick Corea and Lenny White. Does'nt get much better than this, superb performance.

Thanks Bhassan - I didn't know about that, so I've just ordered it. I saw them on that tour at the Indigo2 in July, and it was magical.

advertisement

Back