advertisement

Recommend some Simple Classic Jazz

Try:

Curtis Stigers
Dr. John (Duke Elegant)
Richard Boone
Svante Thuresson (live in Stockholm)

How have I managed to miss Dr John all these years???? Bought 2 albums & I'm hooked.

Listened to a bit of Curtis S, that's not my thing.

Will listen to the others & all suggestions on the thread, so keep 'em coming!

The thread seems to have kept on the 'vocalist' side, but as blue note was mentioned (and as I am going through a rather sad mid-life crisis of buying B-N vinyl in wallet-busting volumes) it seems worth at least mentioning as few details on them

The key releases mostly lie between the mid of the 1500 series (say 1560 onwards) and then the (8)4000 series to around (8)4250 - pretty much any of these are safe bets, but looking at where you seem to be going I would recommend "Midnight Blue" - Kenny Burrell and "cool struttin" - Sonny Clark.

If you like these then just continue to get more B-N's whenever you feel the need for something else in that vein (but please make sure you leave some for me:)

Hi Fama,

these days its easier to say "where can I get away from it" - it seems almost everywhere - there are cheap US import reissues at around £10, the classic reissues for around £30 and then the new 45rpm from music matters - all available from online retailers. These guys were really good http://www.hhv.de/ and currently have over 100 B-N LP's, many at under 10 euro's

There are several shops in London who have a bunch of 2nd hand stuff, and ebay is full of it- you can even get it on Amazon!

I was in New York in Nov and it was the same there - just more of it, and France seems to have a ton of the stuff, especially the Pathe-marconi reissues from the 80'S
....and dont get me started on Japan.......

I would like to have all the 1500 and 4000 series,along with a few of the liberty and japan issues if material unreleased from the 60's - say around 500 titles, and I have approaching half thias number, but I reckon there is so much available that in 1 month (and the cash to buy them,of course) i could probably locate pretty much all the ones I wanted, so plentiful is the market. To see a wbsite that has me green with envy check here - they guy has THEM ALL!!!! http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Record/BlueNote3/index.htm

Probably due to the RVG remasters - people are happier getting these on CDand replacing theiur vinyl, but to me, even the reissues which I have seen referred to as the worst sounding (Pathe/EMI DMM 80's) still sound better than the CD's, and some jap issues are better still. I've never had a bad sounding blue note

advertisement

Back