advertisement

Recommend me some new speakers up to 3k

337alant

Negatively Biased
As per the title I’m looking to upgrade my speakers with a budget of 3k ish
Must be floor standing and 3 way. I like deep tight bass and a neutral mid with sweet treable (who doesn’t)
I hate metal dome tweeters.
I like big bass drivers that give that effortless bass however problem is my listening room is only 3m square with a large bay window at one end so I have to be sensible
I have have various sources 6 turntables but main ones used Garrard 401/12"Jelco/Ortofon Kontrapunct B, mitchel Gyro with Orbe platter/ Audiomods 250/At33EV and a paradise phono stage, I have 6 reel to reels but use a Tascam BR20 and Revox PR99mk2 the most, I also have a digital system silent PC/NAS/ JRivermedia/ all CDs ripped to FLAC they are all excellent front ends.
Amps are PFM B4/Hackenap and present speakers are Wilmslow auio Kit with VoltBM220.8/ Scanspeak D2905-9500 tweeters.
Alan

You can not go wrong IMO with the new Acoustic Insight Focalstage Floorstanders, they have a very beguiling natural sound, no listening fatigue.

If your current amplication can sell for a value (no idea what that is) maybe expand budget for a pair active ATC 50 ?

I have big Tannoy's with 12" cones that work in my room which is smaller than your rooms dimensions. Funny enough i also have a big bay window too. I am not sensible but have damn fine sound though.

I wouldn't go to a punny 6" driver after the Volt especially if you like big bass. I would most certainly miss the bass from my Tannoy's if i did.

The last thing you want is something that'll drown the room in bass and mid-bass... The AML2's go down to 33Hz with a small driver and so the driver is just part of the equation.

If your current amplication can sell for a value (no idea what that is) maybe expand budget for a pair active ATC 50 ?[/ QUOTE]
Acctually the ATC 50 is a speaker I wish to hear again, Iistend to them at a hifi Wigwam day and was disapointed TBH bass was a bit woolly ? but It may have been the rest of the system so I would like to listen again.
my DIY amps would be just used in another ststem if I went for an active speaker not realy bothered about reasale value
Matt thanks for the offer but Im not looking for a stand mount thanks

Alan

In a small room, a better way to go can be to use a good sub for bass foundation. You get more control; I have a small room and use two subs! I can dial-in just the balance I fancy. There's nothing intrinsically superior about three-ways. They don't outperform a good sub set-up.
Good luck with the reel to reels; I use several, just for fun.

I can see both sides of that. IMHO good three ways DO outperform sub/sats, in as much as they use a larger drive unit to cover the important 100-400hz region. This, on rock music, does give an ease and power to the presentation that a sub sat never can.

Having said that, in a small room such as the OP's, the bass issues are going to be there with pretty much any loudspeaker - with problems centered around 55-60hz which is before most speakers LF roll off. So deep tight EVEN bass is going to be a tough ask.

So smaller speakers will be lighter on their feet, seemingly often time better, but lack gravitas in many cases.

In this case, loudspeakers are so personal that recommendations are pretty futile but look to avoid speakers with a port tuning around 50hz and consider something with a controlled directivity pattern.

Merlin / Paskin thanks for your advice a sub is something I could experiment with I have a nice 10" Volt DVC 250.
Tannoys are certainly a brand I wish to hear the DC6SE. precision 6.4, the Sterling/ Knsington and the over budget DC10T.
The B&W CM10 is also a speaker I wish to listen to
The PMC speakers are also on my to listen to list

Alan

As posted above, some 10" (Eaton) or 12" (Devon) Tannoys will be perfect, and sound really good in even a small room. They dont try to do sub bass (little output below 40hz) but the quality & Quantity of the Bass in what most people refer to as Bass (40hz - 300hz ish) is stunning.

Alan

I am going to go a bit far afield here and recommend that you audition Audio Physic Sitara 25 Speakers http://www.audiophysic.com/sitara25/index_e.html#Technical data - they are well within your budget and I suggest you contact Audio Emotion about them as they Audio Physic's distributor here in the UK. Reach out to Gary Cargill ([email protected])

I currently have the Audio Physic Tempo speakers here and if you are in and/or close to London, you are welcome to stop by and listen for yourself.

advertisement

Back