advertisement

Recommend me a new phone.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Present phone is a Samsung A3 2016 model. Still works ok ish, but is getting a bit clanky. I replaced the battery last year. I chose it because it is A. Android. B. Not an iPhone. C. Not the size of Texas.

I think I might go for something slightly physically larger. I'm happy enough with Samsung. I don't really want to spend more than about £300 tops.
Trouble is they now have such a massive range, even the A Series alone has dozens with seemingly quite subtle differences.

Any ideas?

I bought a reconditioned Galaxy S8 for £200 - it's as good as new.

Plenty of memory (64GB expandable) and enough processing oomph for most of what I need (maps, read word documents)

The S9 is a good shout, I got an S10e (flat smaller screen than full S10) off eBay the other month for £359 - open box unused. It will get the next version of Android V11, I don’t think the S9 will, so the 10 is a bit more future proof.

I hate Android. What a mess it is compared to iOS.

I am forced to use Android at work and it positively sucks.

Give one iPhone a try!

In what way is it a "mess" ?

I don't know what some folks do with their phone but mine have all just worked, across all manner of brands.

I doubt ordinary, domestic users would know what those things are because they would never need them.

Huawei P30 Pro. I recently bought a Samsung S20 Ultra mainly for the camera but the P30 is as good or better in some areas (except the S20's camera is slightly better)

I doubt ordinary, domestic users would know what those things are because they would never need them.
Maybe, but it tells how badly Android is designed deep down. A poor copy of iOS.
But then, like W10, it can be installed everywhere. IOS can’t.
Every member of my family has given up on Android mobiles and tablets.

You can get a Google Pixel 3A for £300. Lovely phone, and you'll appreciate running pure Android rather than a vendor skin. I also like Android One phones, it's a great OS (auto-updating, more secure, no skins / weird UIs, 'stock Android') & loads of phones from Xiaomi etc. available under budget.

My favourite phones are LG - I had a G2 and a G6, which were great and also had one feature that absolutely all phones should have: being able to tap the screen to wake it up. You never know how intuitive and useful a feature it is until you use it then have to go back to pressing the 'on/off' button.

I have a Huawei P20 Pro at the moment, soon due to upgrade. It's got a great camera, good screen, is fast but has a mind of its own which can make it frustrating to use

Networking is a pain to configure, amongst other things, especially proxies and password management.
Preferences are just a mess too.
With iOS it’s a breeze.
Not something that will ever trouble me. This is like saying a car is poor because the brakes are complicated to service. I don't care about that, if it needs doing the mechanic knows how.

My Nokia 1 was £50. It's great. Easy to use. Calls work. Internet works. Good battery life, 2 days minimum.

Although I am a firm iPhone user I have an extra Android phone too which I need for one work-related task - it’s a Moto G7 Power (now updated to G8 I think).The Moto range are very good value too SIM-free, you’d easily get one in your price range. Also it’s pretty close to stock Android so better for updates/software reliability etc. As I have one of the “Power” models, the battery is great (2+ days of gentle use).

I still strongly prefer iPhone/iOS but if it has to be Android, they are a great option.

Can't comment about Android (never had a phone that used it), but trying to manage my own configuration when I ran Windoze more than 8 years ago did my head in. I like iOS, and I find the whole Apple eco-system more my cup of maintenance-freedom. It's out of the OP's price target, but I'm entirely chuffed with my newish iPhone XR.

advertisement

Back