advertisement

Recommend me a (moderately priced) streamer - Quad Vena?

I think we need to revisit the OP's maximum budget for 'context' at this point. It's £600 - £700 so I don't see it stretching to Linn DS or Meridian gear.

I think it would put me in the doghouse for years!

I have booked a demo next week for the Quad and Marantz, will be interesting to see how they compare.

I think we need to revisit the OP's maximum budget for 'context' at this point. It's £600 - £700 so I don't see it stretching to Linn DS or Meridian gear.

You are of course completely correct.

However, I did want to understand context of a comment from a member who states that the Marantz is as good as anything, whilst having never heard anything better than a Linn DS Majik. Just felt like a bit of a sweeping statement, and apparently was.

To me, it was just as good for a third the price...

We all have our tastes and opinions... Just because the Linn value is hell of a lot higher doesn't mean it's better!

Hifi snobbery at its best!!!

To me, it was just as good for a third the price...

We all have our tastes and opinions... Just because the Linn value is hell of a lot higher doesn't mean it's better!

Hifi snobbery at its best!!!

????

Did you really just accuse me of snobbery?

As for the Majik, I wouldn't disagree.
But let me make my point again, you stated that the Marantz is as good as ANYTHING. In that context, you're saying it's as good as a DS Klimax or similar. Whilst you might not have heard one, I have, against an Akurate and a Majik.

Sorry for using the wrong words... Feck!

Drop it, you're boring me and wasting space on someone else's post!

:rolleyes: :mad:

Well how about being something like REALISTIC then.
In which case, you wouldn't generate this type of response...
Remember the phrase "cause and effect".

Belated update - was finally able to demo the Quad last week as a result of work commitments and demo cancellations. (Please note, I am not an audiophile, will probably use the wrong terms and my opinion in no way invalidates yours!)

First impressions:

Quad Vena with Quad S1 speakers.

I went straight for the bluetooth link from my iphone to see how it coped. Very stable no problems connecting immediately. With higher bit rate tracks it sounded warm. When I say warm, I mean very very warm, hotplate warm, though I understand this is often a signature with Quad equipment. With lower quality tracks the amp really showed up the deficiencies in the source material, with a lack of sharpness, a narrower soundstage and a loss of detail (unsurprisingly). I was concerned that the higher bit rate tracks had lacked punch, the bass felt flat and the vocals seemed pushed back in the mix.

The dealer connected a Linn Sneaky DS to the quad and we tried again. A 24/192 stream of Bowie's Station to Station revealed a wide soundstage with excellent detail...until the bass and vocals came in. Then the track became muddy, with the treble lost and the bass distinctly lacking tightness and clarity. All i can compare it to is a track that hasn't been mastered correctly - lacking punch and dynamics and needing a tweak in the treble range. The same happened with a hi res file of Daft Punk's Crescendolls - everything sounding lovely until the bass came in and flattened the whole track.

Switching to a pair of B&W 685s improved the detail in the treble range and demonstrated an impressive soundstage but the bass still felt flat and lacking detail. The warm sound of the Quad was apparent, but this warmth seemed to be at the expense of punch and clarity.

A further switch to a pair of KEF Q300s did little to tighten the bass and to my ears, made the treble harsh and shrill.

In the end, I considered that this was not the amp for me. With the right partners and different type of music I'm sure it sounds fantastic (classical, jazz maybe) and certainly has the Quad warmth. The only comparison I could make was to my Brio-R and RS1s and I prefer the timing, punch and detail of those to the Quad Vena.

The dealer suggested a Unitiqute may deliver the sound I'm after, and I'll try to demo one in the future (budget notwithstanding!).

I would be interested to find out form any Vena owners what they pair with their system as I'm sure it's more than capable - just probably not right for my ears.

I haven't been able to try the Marantz streamers yet, but it will be an interesting comparison at a much lower price point.

The Cambridge CXN is an astoundingly good streamer IMO, and in my experience their software and control app hands down beats everything else out there. That said it is at the top end of your budget, and you'll need an amp and speakers. What about a Cambridge Minx XI all-in-1, which uses the same streaming platform but offers a 40W P/C class AB amp and a smaller footprint, and is cheaper. Add the BT100 dongle for bluetooth support (or just use the app to stream from your phone in higher quality) and some nice speakers for an excellent system that'll fit your requirements perfectly.

Thanks for the description of your demo: I'm considering the Quad S-1 to use in combination with the Vena. :) Your findings are surprising as the Quad S1s were reviewed well and not found to be typically Quad-like warm. Good to hear different experiences.

I've used the Quad Vena with Amphion Ion speakers. These (apparently) tend to be on the analytical side; I find them to be clear and detailed. With this combination the Vena has good bass, detail and soundstage in both classical and modern pop music. One caveat: I usually use the DAC of my Bluesound Node, although I also use the DAC of the Vena which indeed I find slightly warmer but only very slightly.

I'm not aware of the shortcomings you pointed out, but admittedly I've never heard the Rega Brio. Also you may have more experience in distinguishing aspects in the soundstage etc., I don't pretend to have 'audiophile' ears or extensive experience listening to different kit. Furthermore, I happen to listen precisely to the kind of music which you suggest might suit the Vena, while I don't regularly listen to the kind you've tried out. Still I'm wondering whether I'm overlooking something which other combinations might provide. :p

As regards the warm character, I've heard this more often and I can see what is meant there. The Amphions don't stress this so may be a suitable match, also they might provide more bass than the Quad S1s. On the other hand, I've read people recommending the combo with Harbeth P3ESR which are also said to be warm.

How about this...

Auralic Aries Mini and some active speakers of your choice? Get the right speakers and have a fantastic sound from a tiny footprint.

KR

Neil

The Cambridge CXN is an astoundingly good streamer IMO, and in my experience their software and control app hands down beats everything else out there. That said it is at the top end of your budget, and you'll need an amp and speakers. What about a Cambridge Minx XI all-in-1, which uses the same streaming platform but offers a 40W P/C class AB amp and a smaller footprint, and is cheaper. Add the BT100 dongle for bluetooth support (or just use the app to stream from your phone in higher quality) and some nice speakers for an excellent system that'll fit your requirements perfectly.

That CXN does look the part - but is right up there in terms of budget as you say. I think I may have to revise my budget upwards, listen to what I can and make a decision based on my ears - paying a bit more for something that I will enjoy is far more appealing to me than having the nagging 'what ifs...'

I do like the look of the Minx though - all the bells and whistles. There is too much choice out there! that pioneer NA50 looks interesting as well

Thanks for the description of your demo: I'm considering the Quad S-1 to use in combination with the Vena. :) Your findings are surprising as the Quad S1s were reviewed well and not found to be typically Quad-like warm. Good to hear different experiences.

I've used the Quad Vena with Amphion Ion speakers. These (apparently) tend to be on the analytical side; I find them to be clear and detailed. With this combination the Vena has good bass, detail and soundstage in both classical and modern pop music. One caveat: I usually use the DAC of my Bluesound Node, although I also use the DAC of the Vena which indeed I find slightly warmer but only very slightly.

I'm not aware of the shortcomings you pointed out, but admittedly I've never heard the Rega Brio. Also you may have more experience in distinguishing aspects in the soundstage etc., I don't pretend to have 'audiophile' ears or extensive experience listening to different kit. Furthermore, I happen to listen precisely to the kind of music which you suggest might suit the Vena, while I don't regularly listen to the kind you've tried out. Still I'm wondering whether I'm overlooking something which other combinations might provide. :p

As regards the warm character, I've heard this more often and I can see what is meant there. The Amphions don't stress this so may be a suitable match, also they might provide more bass than the Quad S1s. On the other hand, I've read people recommending the combo with Harbeth P3ESR which are also said to be warm.

Very interesting to read - thank you. Similarly I don't think I have audiophile ears, but I do have some background in audio production and mastering and think I may be quite fussy when listening. My ears could well be completely shot over the years of playing and going to gigs, so who can say what i'm really hearing : ) ! All we can do is go with what we like - I suppose that's what makes this pursuit fascinating and frustrating at the same time.

Your Amphions sound like a very good match for the Quad - and I agree a more analytical speaker would do it justice.

The Quad S1s threw me somewhat and surprised the dealer too with their lack of punch. I would love to have heard some RS1s with it - has anybody tried this combination?

On a side note, my girlfriend was at the demo and stands by the opinion that they all sounded the same. She could well be right.

How about this...

Auralic Aries Mini and some active speakers of your choice? Get the right speakers and have a fantastic sound from a tiny footprint.

KR

Neil

Intriguing. I have a pair of Adam A7xs knocking about that I used for music production. I have a feeling that these may be too clinical, but it's definitely worth a thought. Choice overload.

The Mini has 4 filter settings for the internal DAC (which is very good BTW). Ripped music could be stored on 2.5" HDD/SSD bay and you have a complete system. Airplay/Bluetooth, internet radio etc.

Love mine!

Just to throw this in: I recently bought an Oppo-105 and it's excellent, and streams DSD too.

Sigh...
Did you read any of the rest of this thread?

advertisement

Back