advertisement

Recommend me a cheap pair of speakers for my Daughter

winchman

pfm Member
Well a few years ago a very kind member from Liverpool found my daughter a cheap starter set up for her time at Uni.
She is soon to be coming home and hasn't really got the room for the large Sony speakers it came with so what smaller ones would you recommend? Height is the issue so they don't have to be book shelf size.
Looking for the hidden gems of cheapness, budgets about £30 it's no high end system she has but she loves her vinyl.

Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale. Plenty to choose from at Richer Sounds. I got a mint pair of JPW's recently. They are fun for the £9 I paid for them.

I’d like to say Q Acoustics 3010 but I think you’ll struggle to find any for £30. I bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s for my Parent’s garden bar, they’re tiny, cheap and sound better than you’d imagine, far from high end HIFI but for the price, they’re rather good. Another good shout would be JBL Control 1s.

Maybe some Mordaunt Short MS10's or their successor models? There's a few on the 'bay at the moment starting from £30ish.

Maybe some Mordaunt Short MS10's or their successor models? There's a few on the 'bay at the moment starting from £30ish.
Indeed, I really liked the mid/late 90s models, they had clear design similarities to the Epos models of the time (they were sister companies at the time) and they punched above their weight.

Mordaunt Short PAgeants are brilliant - but no one seems to want them on the 'bay. So are dirt cheap - or in my case I gave some away to a student neighbour. He loves them.

Local gumtree will have loads.
Not a terrible idea, there’s bound to be something, it’s a good idea to have a look every day until something crops up.

I’ve just had a mooch through eBay, a lot of people are being rather optimistic with their asking prices.

Richer Sounds entry level speaker is currently the Tibo Harmony 4, I don’t know anything about them but they’re selling them for £39.99, they were originally £79.99 and they have a 6 year warranty included. They’re very unlikely to be a bad deal, I’d definitely be checking those out.

Check out Sony SS85-E on the bay. I got a pair for £35. Made in the UK at the time when Sony were trying for the 'British' sound. Sounds superb in place of my ATC SCM 7s in my small room driven by a Naim Nova.

Thanks for all your advice I will have a good root around. I now need to find a vintage style stand for it all.

See if you can get a pair of second hand monitor audio bronze bookshelf speakers. I had a pair of BR1s which I bought new in 2006 with a denon dm35 and they sounded excellent.

advertisement

Back