advertisement

recommend me a cartridge !

dougie834

pfm Member
I am using a rega apheta cartridge but Im looking to replace it as I just fancy a change..Im wanting something which 'plays a tune well' so to speak where music is fun to listen to nothing analytical,it can be MM or MC no more than £500..

401/morch up4
EAR 834p
leak st20
klipsch heresey 3

The Nagaoka is a lovely cartridge with a mid-range emphasis. It does some things, like male voices, better than most of the MC carts I've heard, but it doesn't have the same range and refinement. Still a great all rounder and highly engaging.

Since you have a Moerch arm it's worth noting: I've heard AT carts many times on Mellstock's Hyperspace/Moerch and they have sounded brilliant; both the AT33EV and the 50ANV. AT can sound more mechanical compared to something like a Nagaoka or a Grado on the wrong arm/wrong system, but they really seem to love a good unipivot, which makes them sound much more fluid and organic.

Denon 103 or one of its many tweaked variants. Am not sure how it would work in your Morch, though.

I have both ZU 103 and a 103 Pro (tweaked by 3rd party). Do not let its low price deceive you. I am using mine in a high end turntable into a high end FM Acoustics phono amp and it makes great music. The music has lots of 'soul'.

But my hifi friends think I am mad or just stingy.

DV17DIII is way over the OP's budget now at around £980. Also, if it has similar mass to the 17DII, it is going to be a lot lighter than the AT33 and comparing them in the same arm might be difficult unless OP has very wide range of stylus force adjustment on the arm.

Mull

I have a nagaoka mp 500 and a quintet black! Both really excellent cartridges on my RP8 deck.
Slightly over budget, but either would be a worthwhile, musical sounding choice.

The AT33 PTG/II does indeed track very well because of its microline stylus but this is not necessary the case for all AT33 variants (e.g. the 33EV has a different stylus). I have used the 33s extensively and have a 33EV as an alternative but I feel that the 103 gets at the 'soul and heart' of the music better despite its shortcomings (inner track distortion being one).

But the AT33 is very good indeed and should be considered at about $500.

Nagaokas are not "fun".
Yes, they are precice without being analytical, but not fun!

advertisement

Back