advertisement

Recommend a streamer for an outboard DAC

Schnitger

pfm Member
Is there any advice on 'affordable' streamers to use with an outboard DAC? The DAC is an RME ADI 2 fs and the streamer would connect to it with USB or toslink. I assume using a good separate DAC removes any issues with the streamer's internal DAC and that when used in this way all streamers are essentially the same in terms of sound quality.

I'm not at all familiar with using streamers. What I want to do is connect to it wirelessly/Bluetooth with an iPhone for playing Qobuz, radio (Sounds - R3 and 4 in particular) etc. I see the Wiim Pro Plus has attracted a lot of attention and this is the price range I'm interested in.

I see there's a current thread about this streamer, but it presupposes a level of knowledge I don't have, so don't refer me to this thread!

I would simply buy on features and UI. Make sure you get a streamer you actually want to use. Otherwise, use a laptop to your RME.

I bought an Eversolo for the screen and features, sounds about the same as my MacBook. I also have the RME, very good it is, but you might be surprised how good the dac in something like the Eversolo is.

I’m agnostic as to all streamers sounding the same to an external dac but prefer listening to the MacBook or Eversolo like that compared to a Bluesound Node (not the latest).

I use the latest Bluesound with an Hegel Dac and it’s amazing. You can airplay through Bluesound or connect via Bluetooth. I use Qobuz and Tidal. I control everything from my iPhone. The Bluesound is a Dac as well.

I know many people prefer a MacBook and a Dac.
I can’t comment on other options.

I’d say if you can try test the sound of the streamer you like to your system.

Cheers

I would simply buy on features and UI. Make sure you get a streamer you actually want to use. Otherwise, use a laptop to your RME.

I bought an Eversolo for the screen and features, sounds about the same as my MacBook. I also have the RME, very good it is, but you might be surprised how good the dac in something like the Eversolo is.

I’m agnostic as to all streamers sounding the same to an external dac but prefer listening to the MacBook or Eversolo like that compared to a Bluesound Node (not the latest).
I've used a laptop connected via USB to a DAC - both the RME and an Auralic Vega - to play ripped CDs and downloads via JRiver Media Centre. It works but over time I've come to find setting up, running, maintaining etc, the laptop too much faff and I've gone back to playing CDs. At the moment I connect my iPhone to the DAC via USB and still use it to stream Media Centre from a desktop PC in another room. Surprisingly, it sounds fine, but connecting wirelessly is obviously more convenient. I don't think it's worth spending significant money on a streamer as they probably have a functional life of 5 or so years.Like phones, software platforms change etc, which quickly renders a lot of digital
kit obsolete.

There are some good suggestions from people here that I'll look into. Have I understood correctly that the Wiim Pro can connect to a DAC with toslink or coax, but not USB? That's fine by me as long as sound quality (jitter?) is ok. I suppose it means not having to set up drivers etc.

I've used a laptop connected via USB to a DAC - both the RME and an Auralic Vega - to play ripped CDs and downloads via JRiver Media Centre. It works but over time I've come to find setting up, running, maintaining etc, the laptop too much faff and I've gone back to playing CDs. At the moment I connect my iPhone to the DAC via USB and still use it to stream Media Centre from a desktop PC in another room. Surprisingly, it sounds fine, but connecting wirelessly is obviously more convenient. I don't think it's worth spending significant money on a streamer as they probably have a functional life of 5 or so years.Like phones, software platforms change etc, which quickly renders a lot of digital
kit obsolete.

There are some good suggestions from people here that I'll look into. Have I understood correctly that the Wiim Pro can connect to a DAC with toslink or coax, but not USB? That's fine by me as long as sound quality (jitter?) is ok. I suppose it means not having to set up drivers etc.
A WiiM Pro Plus seems to meet all your requirements, price, connectivity to external DAC, Qobuz, BBC Radio 3 (and lots of others).

It is very easy to install, connect it to your DAC via toslink cable, connect it wirelessly to your router (or Ethernet if you prefer), make a few settings changes to its output (depending on how you want to use it, i.e. with its own preamp/volume settings, or full output and use your amp) and away you go.

A few screenshots might explain better:

IMG-1009.jpg

IMG-1010.jpg

IMG-1012.png

IMG-1013.png

If your DAC has optical in then a WiiM mini will suffice for bit perfect streaming. I find it hard to fault used in that fashion myself. No “jitter”, whatever that means!

The Bluesound is super easy to setup and use, but so is the WiiM. As that suits your budget, no reason not to use it.

Are you wanting the steamer to be able to handle your rips too? You can attach a portable hard drive to a Node and it indexes them well and quite quickly. Not sure about the Wiim.

The Node (have a 2i) is a doddle to use with great sortware too. The CD rips don't sound quite as good as the CD played directly (which I still do), but it's a convenient feature. Streaming in to a DAC seems better.

If I was starting out I'd probably get a Zen Mini mk3 instead or at least try one. They rip CDs too. I've read from a couple of people that the Innuos and Node sound similar with steaming services but the Innuos pulls ahead in playing rips - comparatively. Again though I'm not sure.

I use a Wiim pro with my Rme,no point in you buying the better pro plus,you would just be spending extra on a better dac in it,no need for that when you have a very good dac already.Cant see that you can get anything better pound for pound.

Another WiiM user here .... not sure what your streaming source is but they play well with most and can play locally stored music as well.

I initially had a Mini, they were known for having a "delicate" flap on the optical out and if it broke you couldn't use the device but was fine if you only intended to plug it in and leave it.
The Minis also didn't do Hi Res multiroom with Amazon music so upgraded to the Pro which does and also has Coax out and Chromecast built in.

I use a Wiim pro with my Rme,no point in you buying the better pro plus,you would just be spending extra on a better dac in it,no need for that when you have a very good dac already.Cant see that you can get anything better pound for pound.

Might prefer the DAC in the Pro PLu to the RME ... in which case could sell it :eek:

Tried using a (windows) laptop for music once. Interference from software updates and virus scans etc just killed the experience for me - plus even occasional fan noise. Am sure better ones are available but still!, and it wasn't an old clonker either.

Wiim Pro, have one in system 2 into a Caimen SEG 50, absolutely stonking piece of kit for the money. Will read/Play the rips from a NAS or networked computer, mine happily reads and plays the rips on my Innous Zenith SSD.

Would you have any interest in putting together a streamer using a Raspberry Pi4 (as per post 4 above)?
I realise that this is not for everyone. There is a degree of ‘faffing about’ to get it up and running but once that‘s sorted, it should be an enjoyable/hassle free experience.
For about £60 or so, you should be able to pick up a Pi4 2Gb, basic case and power supply (all new). In addition you’d need a micro SD card onto which you load the software (plenty of choice).
USB out into your DAC.
I have a Pi streamer in my main system (Croft amp and Tannoy speakers). It’s not going anywhere and easily matches my vinyl front end in terms of SQ.

advertisement

Back