advertisement

Recommend a set of RCA cables please?

Unfortunately ultimate interconnects are 3.5k like Kondo ls-41 and Stealth Indra

You're an idiot, it's difficult to measure your idiocy

The meter just ran into a wall and continued to headbutt until it said I tried to measure Phyztech's idiocy but I realised that as the most accurate measurement tool in the world my task is impossible

I’ve tried several interconnects over the last few years, I’ve used old component cables as interconnects before. I bought some Atlas ones for around £10 and 2 sets of QED ones for even less. They worked great. chord Cobra I really liked, so too chord Clearway. Currently using Black Rhodium Intro which are really well made for not a lot of money And sound fab to me. I’ll be selling the chord Clearway soon.

Chord Cobra are my rca go-to cable of choice. Excellent quality for a sensible price second hand now, looking between £30 - £40 per 1m pair.

not about interconnects, but a recent cable/connector experience that made me think. We have a TiVo system for TV. For about 5 days recently, it didn't work. We called for an engineer. He had a very sophisticated meter for measuring things. Eventually, he traced one fault to a connector outside the house, which carried everything to the boxes inside. One connector, solid copper core was ever so slightly corroded, so the engineer replaced the end of the wire and connector. Et Voila, a signal again! That tiny bit of corrosion was causing all the trouble, and even made the router inside the house to malfunction, because it was trying to amplify the poor signal (and failing to do so) and heating up.

I can't see why one cable would be better than another at audio frequencies, but corrosion of connectors is a different thing.

Would you mind sharing a link? I tried searching for Neotech and didn’t find them.

In recent months I've dumped my motley assortment of Mark Grants, VDHs, DNMs, Chord Cos, and opted for these Klotz 110 mic cables terminated with Neutriks throughout the system. If it's good enough for Rega, it's good enough for me. Pretty flexible (my main issue with Mark Grants), sound great.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For the first time in a long time I need to buy a set of RCA cables to connect my Avondale pre-amp to my Avondale power amp.

Back in the day I used to use Flashback cables for pretty much everything.... great cables, well built and at a sensible price.

In the absece of Flashback who/ what would you recommend with a budget up to £100 ish. Happy to buy new or second hand.

Any/ all advice much appreciated....

From my personal experience:

If you’re on a budget or don’t want to spend too much on cable, an Audioquest tower is quite good for the money if you can get 1meter for 25€.

I personally used the rega couple 3 as it is a cable used by rega in many of there device (planar 3/6/8, phono stage aura ) and it’s a good cable doing the job very good for 120€. I used it between my fono mm and my elex amplifier.

My brother use wireworld solstice 7/8 and it’s working very good for him . It’s approximately the same price as the rega.

In recent months I've dumped my motley assortment of Mark Grants, VDHs, DNMs, Chord Cos, and opted for these Klotz 110 mic cables terminated with Neutriks throughout the system. If it's good enough for Rega, it's good enough for me. Pretty flexible (my main issue with Mark Grants), sound great.

I never tried myself but maybe good value also.

Is it really totally the same as the rega couple 3 rega is selling for 120€?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Fwiw, this is the Worlds Best Cable cable I mentioned up-thread. The 0.5m is out of stock by the looks of it but other sizes are available.

I have a couple of those and think they sound very good, but I’m not a big fan of the Eminence locking RCAs.

May I broaden this - looking for a good, flexible RCA coax - the Mark Grant is really unforgiving (more so than standard ICs that I can cope with).

Having read several recommendations for Klotz A110, I made up a 1 metre long pair of interconnects with it. I then put them into a group of cables I was A-B comparing. Yes, they were smooth and had nice mids but so-so treble, and for micro detail they were pretty comprehensively outclassed by a 1 metre set of unshielded twisted pair silver coated copper with teflon covers. I'd put A110 in the middle range of cables, but I wouldn't use them personally because there's better, and not just mega buck cables. If you don't believe me get 10 metres of the silver PTFE, make up some twisted pairs and see for yourselves. It comes in 7 x 0.125 or 7 x .02. I made up both and they both sound better than anything else I've thrown at them. For £12 per 10 metres just add some decent plugs and you're golden, and for a trivial cost too. I'd welcome a second opinion if anyone does this. I was very clear about my preference. I'd also be interested to find out about any commercial cables that use this formula. Kimber PBJ is similar in being twisted and unshielded but not exactly the same.

advertisement

Back