advertisement

Recommend a Mozart Requiem

saturn9

pfm Member
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a version of Mozart's Requiem? I'm looking for one that would have maximum emotional impact. Would prefer a 'pared down' version if such a thing exists.

TIA
John

Krips on Andante if it is still available (haven't heard the Decca, but I suspect it is good), otherwise Harnoncourt.

I bought the Peter Schreier Dresden Staatskapelle version on LP when it came out in 1983. It received a gramophone rosette award on release, if my memory serves me correctly.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/mozart-requiem-24

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000040W1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

My favourite too. I remember finding the Philips engineering on it a bit odd to my ears back in 86 ( is it an early digital master?) but not now.
Mackerras/SCO on Linn is also excellent.

For a really 'pared down' version, there's a string quartet transcription by the Quator Debussy on Decca. :)
It works remarkably well!

51GA-HcDORL.jpg

For an old fashioned, big orchestra and chorus version that doesn't feel the need to rush I've always liked Bohm on DG. Very deep and devotional.

I never did like the Schreier recording.

I haven't come across the Krips, I'll give it a go.

Savall is interesting for a more HIP (historically informed) approach, lovely sq, too.
Lots of others.

I have the John Elliot Gardiner requiem - can't comment on how it compares to others.

Just in case the OP hasn't come across it if you like emotional impact you might like the little known Biber requiem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_0FPs7tp20

For me Biber is the most emotive of all requiems I'm familiar with.

The most striking performance I heard were was a rehearsal in St. Augustin's in Vienna with soloists from the Bolshoi and Viennia State -for a Requiem Mass later that day. The Dies Irae was thunderous. I thought I was hearing a very good recording being played very loud at first when I walked in, until I saw the orchestra, chorus and soloists up in the organ gallery. Unforgettable.

Both the Butt/Dunedin and the Mackerras/SCO on Linn are superb. If you prefer pared down the Butt would be the obvious choice, but the Mackerass/SCO is deeply felt. I was lucky enough to hear the performance live in Glasgow just before it was recorded in Dundee. Recently I very much enjoyed the Kings College version with the AAM under Stephen Cleobury, pared down too with wonderful singing and acoustic. There's a bonus cd with a lecture about the work, and some alternative realisations so plenty to explore.

Thanks to you all, I found the DG/Bohm s/h and have enjoyed it even though I don't have anything to measure it against.

By way of some explanation, I should say that I have very little knowledge or experience of classical music. This came about because I have joined a choir and the requiem is on the agenda, hence my question. It has however kindled an interest in classical I didn't really have before so I look forward to taking it further. I'm still looking for the 'pared down' approach for this so am looking at the Dunedin/SCO as a next step.

Thanks again to all, Todd I have much enjoyed reading your Scubertiade thread, may be the next step for me.

Thanks,
John

X2 on the relatively recent Linn Records recording of the Dunedin Consort. Not just an "interesting" listen, but one I find very enjoyable as well. One of my favorite classical records.

Very tempted by the Butt version- I heard him conduct a wonderful Handel concert with the Dundedin at the EIF last year.

First question should be which version? Sussmayer (most common); Beyer, Robbins Landon, Maunder or Druce? The last three are found only on one or two recordings. These different versions have at least as large an impact on the score as much as say a historically informed performance. Peter Gutman covers some of these issues (and recommended recordings here http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/mozartrequiem.html

regards,

Giles

advertisement

Back