advertisement

Recent-ish Artists That Stick

Whaleblue

Southbound
I hate to be stuck (exclusively) in the past, so listen to a lot of new music. Some holds me for a few days or weeks, but only a handful of albums stay in the play list beyond that.

For me, in the last few years there are a few that come to mind, and I’d like to list the artists that have stuck - but on review there are relatively few, and most of the recent new albums that have stuck are from “old favourite” artists.

What are you listening to that’s properly new?

Mainly London and other new jazz stuff. Nubya Garcia, Binker Golding, Moses Boyd, Joe Armon Jones, Maisha, Kokoroko, Comet Is Coming, Mathew Halsall, Portico Quartet, Mammal Hands, Shabaka & The Ancestors, Kamasi Washington, Seed Ensemble, Sarathay Korwar, Str4ta etc. I can’t see myself forgetting this stuff, there is just so much happening in this general arena at present. Jazz is back, big time!

Beyond that Sufjan Stevens and Beach House are still producing some of my favourite and most played music in the folk/rock/indie/electronica or whatever genres, though the young jazz scene is unquestionably where its at at present. FWIW Sufjan Steven’s last album The Ascension may well be his best to date, and there are some remarkably high bars in his back catalogue to jump.

Portico Quartet

Do they count as new? Nubya, yes, here too.

New - depends on how new, but Alfa Mist, Tash Sultana, Saffronkiera, Celeste, Porridge Radio, Sevdaliza, Sohn, Archive, D. Gee Mono, Lefar Legov, Hammock, Lorn, Nadine Shah, Sophie Hutchings, Angus and Julia Stone

Clap! Clap!

interesting bloke with good production credits.
I prefer Tayi Bebba L.P. but that is 2014

R-9849642-1487345254-2714.jpeg.jpg

Clap! Clap! ‎– A Thousand Skies
Label:
Black Acre ‎– ACRELP009
Format:
2 × Vinyl, LP, Album
UK
Released:
17 Feb 2017
Genre:
Electronic

I know Ian was thinking of around five years but anything this century is quite recent for me. The artists whose work has stuck recently are listed below but the one common link for most is that they were recommended on Pink Fish:

Treetop Flyers – Mountain Moves. They have a really great West Coast sound, emanating from London apparently but with a US singer. This record was one of my ‘buy it when it comes along and then take four years to get around to listening to it’ jobs. Eventually I bought all their records and they are all worth having - PFM.

Nadia Reid – Out Of My Province. what a great artist and another lucky find/recommendation – PFM.

Courtney Marie Andrews – Old Flowers. I only have this record by Courtney Marie so far but it is rather wonderful. It’s an emotional ride but highly recommended – PFM.

The Green Ray – Half Sentences. This was the last outing for Richard Treece, a sadly overlooked guitarist. It saddens me that I never got to see The Green Ray play with Richard on lead but at least there is a legacy of a few great records.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I know Ian was thinking of around five years but anything this century is quite recent for me. The artists whose work has stuck recently are listed below but the one common link for most is that they were recommended on Pink Fish:

Treetop Flyers – Mountain Moves. They have a really great West Coast sound, emanating from London apparently but with a US singer. This record was one of my ‘buy it when it comes along and then take four years to get around to listening to it’ jobs. Eventually I bought all their records and they are all worth having - PFM.

Nadia Reid – Out Of My Province. what a great artist and another lucky find/recommendation – PFM.

Courtney Marie Andrews – Old Flowers. I only have this record so far but it is rather wonderful. It’s an emotional ride but highly recommended – PFM.

The Green Ray – Half Sentences. This was the last outing for Richard Treece, a sadly overlooked guitarist. It saddens me that I never got to see The Green Ray play with Richard on lead but at least there is a legacy of a few great records.

Loving Half Sentences and CD ordered!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Waxahatchee
Rhiannon Giddens
Lizabett Russo
James Yorkston
Sam Amidon
All relatively new discoveries for me, could probably list loads more.
Mac

Weyes Blood -Titanic Rising.

It's my most played album since late 2019. It was pretty much the only thing I could listen to last year...apart from Phoebe Bridgers. Both her albums are stunning.

advertisement

Back