advertisement

Recent advice/threads on DIY PSU for LP12

Thanks everyone.
For my first attempt I have gone cheap and easy:
Vigortronix 500VA 230v 2x55v £48.94 inc P&P (delivered next day Amazon)

If this project works I might repeat with a "higher grade" transformer!
Now hunting around for a case to put it all in.

Anyone got a source for a reasonable Naim-like shoebox case these days?
Lots of old references on these forums but all seem to have gone away.
Current favourites?

RE: Naim Shoebox - I have several of FlatPopely's - absolutely brilliant, but they are now rare as hens teeth. I did pick up one on "the Bay" after checking every day for over 6 months. Just ask around and you may be lucky, otherwise watch "the Bay" and hope.

Re: PSU for LP12 - I built a Norton Airpower several years ago. Definitely preferred to the Geddon when I did an AB against a friends, but equally that could have been "I built this myself" bias :). My friend also preferred it, but perhaps he was being polite. Certainly its every bit a good as the Geddon. It uses 2 transformers>
They are very easy to build.

A couple of links:
https://lnantispam.wixsite.com/norton-technologies/airpower
here's "how to do it" - scroll down the whole page
https://lnantispam.wixsite.com/norton-technologies/airpower-kit

Hope this helps,
Graham

Hi Graham, I’m trying a variac at the minute so depending on how that performs I may consider building an air power psu. Can I ask what size of transformers did you use? 30va is specified on the Norton link. Would this work well?

Hi Graham, I’m trying a variac at the minute so depending on how that performs I may consider building an air power psu. Can I ask what size of transformers did you use? 30va is specified on the Norton link. Would this work well?

I think I actually went for 100 VA transformers, I built mine about 7 years ago so can't be certain. I'm away for the next month or so so can't open it and take a look.
I did contact Leigh at the time (via his website) and he was very helpful.
I built mine without using variacs and it "ran" perfectly.

Thanks for that Graham. I probably go with 100va then, as it’s hard to get 60 or 80 volt toroids below that rating anyway. I’m just using the variac to experiment with different voltages, but plan to build either an AirPower or an Armageddon clone depending on what I find .

I wouldn't touch either a geddon or the Norton one with a barge pole personally. The whole idea is to generate a 50Hz low distortion sine wave with high accuracy and which is not subject to the frequency variations of the mains...
You may as well just bung some resistors in line with the mains supply as use either of those transformer based designs...

advertisement

Back