advertisement

Recapped my Trichord Dino

allthingsanalog

pfm Member
I just replaced all the 14 100uf 35v capacitors in my Trichord Dino with 'Nichicon Solid Polymer Electrolytic' capacitors as an experiment as I needed to increase my recent Mouser order.

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...GAEpiMZZMukHu%2bjC5l7YZ4Pt9A788cWDNeIQrkgkZk=

Holy crap, what a transformation. Regardless of the point if they are suitable or not for a phono stage, I love the sound. Lightening fast, high level detail I've never heard before. Really clean bass responce, maybe not to everyones taste but it sounds great.

I also find the phono stage is much quiter also, as in hum/noise.

Using a Lyra Delos cart.

Interesting ATA

Which version of the Dino do you have?

I also have a Lyra but the Dorien.

Interesting, I have considered having more of a fettle with mine.

Bypassing the rectifying diodes and feeding power with a +-22v dc from a basic lm317 also gave tremendous benifits. Using some decent diodes would be a good start.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

I've been considering recapping my Dino mk2 for a while now but in my system I find the sound already on the bright side so I was thinking about Elna Silmic II since I suspect they might add some warmth and 'lushness' to the sound whilst remaining very detailed.
For the big smoothing cap I was thinking Mundorf M-Lytic.

A couple of years ago I built my own DIY upgrade PSU for it using a decent sized toroid and one of the PO3 PCB's from Elliot Sound products (LM317/337 based). I found the better PSU to big a big upgrade and I'd heartily recommend it.

Here's a pic of the finished article:

I haven't removed the original rectifier diodes yet, I might give that a try.

I have a Dino MkI. With or without the Dino+ supply I always found it dead-quiet.

As for tonal balance: slightly warm.

This with Lyra and Allaerts cartridges.

Interesting...What film caps are used in the Mk1? In the Mk2 they are the Munforf ZN which have a reputation for being very detailed but rather sterile.

Interesting...What film caps are used in the Mk1? In the Mk2 they are the Munforf ZN which have a reputation for being very detailed but rather sterile.

Mundorf Zn. I also use these in my own designs, not sterile at all.

I have given some thought to upgrading the film caps to give a bit more warmth, never settled on which to use within the size limitations. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I think anything significantly better are likely to also be significantly larger.

It's a Dino MK1. I'm using a Dino+ (non NC version).

I fit some Silmic II earlier in the year but found them far to soft and mushy!

I have read that solid polymer capacitors are only good in digital circuits, this is the first time i've tried them but they are good for a phono stage.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

I've been considering recapping my Dino mk2 for a while now but in my system I find the sound already on the bright side so I was thinking about Elna Silmic II since I suspect they might add some warmth and 'lushness' to the sound whilst remaining very detailed.

I still have the Silmics i took out of mine.

They came from HIFI Collective this year. If you pm me i'm happy to post them to you FOC for you to try.

I have given some thought to upgrading the film caps to give a bit more warmth, never settled on which to use within the size limitations. Any thoughts?

You could of course slightly tweak the resistor values in the RIAA network and create more warmth.

What has surprised me is that I used to run my Delos on the 47k loading, far to high for a MC but now after the recap it's on 100ohms, 2 setting lower and it sounds fantastic.

Hi Werner

While we have your attention could you say a little more about the front end constant current source mod that's on your (soon to be mine:)) Dino.

Maybe a little something on what you feel it brings to the sound IYHO.

I’ve used those little two legged CCS jobs before (can’t remember the ref number) to good effect but remember them being a little hard to source.

I have that unit coming this way but the mod may interest others.

A little picture of the said recap.

Don't them little Nichicon solids look cute!

DSC03304_zpsuggqaiig.jpg

advertisement

Back