advertisement

Rear-ended at traffic lights - what are my options?

I doubt that’s going to be much use with an injury worth less than £5k. That would be a small claims court jobbie and probably not worth the bother unless significant pain.
I have had whiplash before, and I don't have any symptoms now. I also have a very good physio who will check me in a few days' time.

I'm not in this to milk it, just to get my rather-well-kept old car back to where it was. It's likely not worth much as a write-off, especially when compared to what I would then have to spend on a replacement.

I'm not in this to milk it, just to get my rather-well-kept old car back to where it was. It's likely not worth much as a write-off, especially when compared to what I would then have to spend on a replacement.

If you are sure you are not hurt and can get the money to have the car repaired at your choice of garage - I would do that. If you have any doubt as to whether the money is there, use your insurer. His comment about £900 being a lot in an age when a very minor scrape soon gets to £500 is daft.

It’s a rare car, I can see why you’d not want it written off. I’m presuming it’s ordinary insurance, not any sort of agreed value policy. But either way, as others have said, inform your insurers. Any increase to premium in a no fault claim should be modest. But also, let them know you are quite prepared to give evidence in court if needs be. If they think you’ll stand behind your claim, they’re probably more likely to pursue the other side’s insurer than go ‘knock for knock’.

If you are sure you are not hurt and can get the money to have the car repaired at your choice of garage - I would do that. If you have any doubt as to whether the money is there, use your insurer. His comment about £900 being a lot in an age when a very minor scrape soon gets to £500 is daft.

Yip, £500 for a heated windscreen on a Fiesta even with the insurance the excess was £130 which is what my son had to pay last month after some nutter threw an empty rum bottle through his windscreen.

I had an absolute nightmare years ago with a rear end bump (my fault) and a head case of a driver, three years it took to sort it out but the insurer I was with at the time of the bump did sort it out despite me not being insured with them after all of that time.

I think you have to inform your insurance company.

Maybe they will offer some informal advice on how to proceed, given the relatively minor damage etc. But if they don't know what's happened you could up in a situation where you aren't insured when it matters.

Car insurance is a middle aged bargain, I pay £210 or so for a 150mph Lotus. And about the same for an asthmatic Ford Fusion with no no-claims. VED and petrol dominate car costs.

I was in a similar scenario a couple of years ago, my car was written off when I was rear ended whilst behind a flat bed truck, repair bill was 18k which was 6k more than the car was worth at the time. I was advised my premiums could go up, despite not being at fault, but next time I renewed I saw no discernible increase in premiums and haven't since, so you might be ok

I haven't yet informed them, partly for this reason.

I was in a similar scenario a couple of years ago, my car was written off when I was rear ended whilst behind a flat bed truck, repair bill was 18k which was 6k more than the car was worth at the time. I was advised my premiums could go up, despite not being at fault, but next time I renewed I saw no discernible increase in premiums and haven't since, so you might be ok

Aye my wife’s renewal back in December was buttons, cost her about £25 extra or something.

I rear ended another vehicle about 6 years ago. The behaviour of the other vehicle was highly suspicious to my insurance company. They persued them through the courts, it took three years, and I was awarded a no fault claim. Premiums did not go up, I did have protected no claims though.

Repairs to my car were £9k and the other party's car was crushed by law enforcement.

As per other advice, claim through your insurance. The downsides are far less and the risk is assumed by them. Did you get the details of any others who were a witness to the accident? Also highly likely there would be CCTV at the lights, might be worth speaking too plod or the camera operator.

Thank you for all the responses.

I have now contacted my insurance company, in fear and trepidation of the costs, to report the accident. Discussing it with them, I said I didn't want to claim as my excesses were more than the repair cost. They replied that as it was clearly a no-fault accident, they would pay for the repair, waive all the excesses, pursue the other driver on my behalf, and preserve my no claims bonus. And although I don't have courtesy car cover on my policy, I've been offered one for free.

So a shout-out to Aviva for being really helpful! Excellent customer service! And my anxiety level is much diminished...

Yes...even if you don't want to milk it... Aviva will ! How's the neck today ?

I rear ended another vehicle about 6 years ago. The behaviour of the other vehicle was highly suspicious to my insurance company. They persued them through the courts, it took three years, and I was awarded a no fault claim. Premiums did not go up, I did have protected no claims though.

Repairs to my car were £9k and the other party's car was crushed by law enforcement.
When I was a young driver there were reports in the Manchester area of a scam where a motorist would pull away at a roundabout then slam on their brakes causing (in likelihood) the person behind to hit them. The only time I ever rear-ended someone was in a circumstance similar to this...and I've always wondered... Can't remember how it went down but probably related to whiplash compensation and the like. Anyone remember this?

advertisement

Back