advertisement

Really want to upgrade my Mojo

I had an interesting afternoon today , i attached my Ifi amp to my main HiFi setup to see what a Linn Klimax katalyst Naim 52 would sound like through it .After several hours listening it was very good indeed , but to be honest i thought it was going to be mind-blowing better but not as good as i was expecting it to be o_O(id just like to say that No headphone setup ive heard to date outperforms my main Hifi setup)
Connecting the Ifi back up to the Hugo 2 tonight just sounds great and the more i listen to it , im really starting to like it
Next Sunday i will be auditioning the Mojo 2 and Qutest along side the Hugo 2 and the original Mojo
The only Dac i wish i could demo would probably be the original Hugo TT as from reading the reviews its a very revealing warm sounding analogue Dac which i would love to try but probably wont be able to unless i purchase blind

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA
I must say I don’t get those Chord contraptions. Plain ugly and very expensive. What do they do that others do not?
You have been around hifi for many years I know, so what makes you call the Mojo at say £400 or Mojo 2 at £500 "very expensive"? It isn't cheap by many standards but "very expensive" is a very tall stretch in an industry where six figure examples of anything and everything including a simple interconnect are possible?

The mojo is based around an FPGA, these are an expensive way of making a product, also power hungry, however they have allowed a bespoke DAC implementation as opposed to a design based on an off the shelf chip. I believe it is British design and manufacture. All that makes it more £££ than yet another AKM based device built in China.

Why do they bother? Go Google an authoritative explanation from the Chord designer but a short version that has been through a Nobeone filter is: they build lossless volume control and (in Mojo 2) filters combined with a very long FIR reconstruction filter to provide theoretical fidelity beyond most others and allow them to use a very simple analogue output to boot. It is, I think, a unique proposition and one worthy of some admiration in the face of cheaper far east market dominance.

Doesn't mean you will like the price or the sound ;)

A very high quality engineered item offering battery powered portable DAC and headphone amplifier.

I hope that helps.

Interesting combination - Roon to Poly connected to Mojo 1 - is it really that good? Compared to perhaps what in your previous experience of streaming?
Yes it’s really good for my headphones (sen 660) but yet to compare to main system (Sonore ultrarendu with chord qutest) . The mojo is certainly better than Naim sn3 headphone amp.

Having had a little bit more time with the Mojo, the two things that stands out is freedom from 'grain' and glare, if that makes any sense and great PRAT. - Music just sounds 'right' to my ageing ears.

No, it does not completely change everything in a night and day way, things are more subtle than that but it is a very nice sounding 'package'. It also sounds very, very nice as main DAC in my system/s.

I have little to compare it with other than my integrated amplifiers headphone stages and the Macbook headphone out. As I sit often at my laptop it makes complete sense but whether similar sound quality can be obtained cheaper I don't know. It has enough power for the Sundara which is a bonus.

I may try Fiio's K7 but have a feeling to get better may involve looking above the Mojo 2's price which I don't really want to do.

Just as an add-on, after having had the Chord in the chain for a while I took it out last night and plugged the HP's in directly to the Macbook. When I said it was not a 'day and night' difference, it almost was. The sound lost a lot of body and refinement as well as punch/attack and that was with the Mojo 2's EQ disengaged/flat. Just shows what getting used to something can do

Based on my (limited) experience I would highly recommend this little box of tricks.

https://media.futureshop.co.uk/media/amasty/amfile/attach/TX1PuTNPGZyvZ6jproEKYe2EF5QeWg00.pdf

Last edited:
Contemplated acquiring a Hugo TT but was put off by the battery replacement and the fact that it would be 7 years old. Listening to the Qutest again im really starting to enjoy it particularly in the mid-range and sound stage.
Long story short a new Qutest arrived this morning and i have ordered a AQ carbon Usb cable and Sbooster - so it will be an interesting view weeks

Reactions: RoA

advertisement

Back