advertisement

Real Speakers

Great thread guys,

I'm abusing it to get suggestions for vintage boxes.
From that era I really liked the KEF offerings.
Built the KEF CS7 which I preferred over the CS9.
3-ways but IIRC similar in sound from 2-way versions.
Would love to hear a well-built CS7 to compare it with what I like now..
I don't know what the equivalent production releases were.

And yes, also curious who ledzep68 is...

Cheers,
Johan

PS CS9 looks similar to KEF105.2

Edit quick search CS7 similar to Cantata?

Great thread guys,

I'm abusing it to get suggestions for vintage boxes.
From that era I really liked the KEF offerings.
Built the KEF CS7 which I preferred over the CS9.
3-ways but IIRC similar in sound from 2-way versions.
Would love to hear a well-built CS7 to compare it with what I like now..
I don't know what the equivalent production releases were.

And yes, also curious who ledzep68 is...

Cheers,
Johan

PS CS9 looks similar to KEF105.2

Edit quick search CS7 similar to Cantata?

I use KEF 105.3's in my main system and I'm very happy with them.
Come to think of it, KEF get fairly little mention on pfm for such a large and well known speaker manufacturer....

Heres one for you all,name some real proper 2 way audio speakers from the 70's-90's as i cant stand modern speakers i find they are boxy over tuned and everything is pushed to the extremities everything is compacted into a tiny box so they tune them to their limits trying to squeeze as much out as poss in turn it all sounds false and nasty which i find horrible.

What's the budget?

If you are a muso and of the generation your username suggests I'd be inclined to consider old-school studio monitors of as large a size as you can budget for / can fit in the room, e.g. Tannoys, JBLs etc - that will certainly be what those Led Zep albums were born and mastered through. I use a pair of 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds driven by a Quad amp myself so pretty much what was in Abbey Rd etc at that time. They are very easy to live with - a big, ballsy warm and powerful sound that fills the room, very different to much modern kit. Sure, you can find more detail, less colouration etc, but there's something remarkably good about this kind of kit, it really does unlock the music created on it. If you don't want something that big (my cabs are like wardrobes, and being DIY, really ugly wardrobes) then maybe look to Tannoy LGMs, DMT 12s etc.

PS I've pulled out some of the more hectoring and tedious posts. No one has any right to demand answers from anyone here. Just ask once and move on. Politeness counts.

What's the budget?

If you are a muso and of the generation your username suggests I'd be inclined to consider old-school studio monitors of as large a size as you can budget for / can fit in the room, e.g. Tannoys, JBLs etc - that will certainly be what those Led Zep albums were born and mastered through. I use a pair of 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds driven by a Quad amp myself so pretty much what was in Abbey Rd etc at that time. They are very easy to live with - a big, ballsy warm and powerful sound that fills the room, very different to much modern kit. Sure, you can find more detail, less colouration etc, but there's something remarkably good about this kind of kit, it really does unlock the music created on it. If you don't want something that big (my cabs are like wardrobes, and being DIY, really ugly wardrobes) then maybe look to Tannoy LGMs, DMT 12s etc.

Budget well tbh im looking at about 3k but something has come up and looks like its gonna cost about 1k all in a pair Tannoy Cheviots that to be refurbed

Ok lets get this right,these forums are for everyone to LEARN,Teach and hopefully give good advice and input and help each other out,so if some people cant give positive advice and just want be negative then best they say nothing and stop being so personal, its only hi-fi at the end of the day we all love it and want to enjoy it not come on here for advice and help and have people slamming you for it,think of new people coming into the scene joining a forum and seeing that negative stuff not a very good advert for people who love their hobby's want advice and and possibly make a few friends along the way.

Ok lets get this right,these forums are for everyone to LEARN,Teach and hopefully give good advice and input and help each other out,so if some people cant give positive advice and just want be negative then best they say nothing and stop being so personal, its only hi-fi at the end of the day we all love it and want to enjoy it not come on here for advice and help and have people slamming you for it,think of new people coming into the scene joining a forum and seeing that negative stuff not a very good advert for people who love their hobby's want advice and and possibly make a few friends along the way.

Some people have nothing better to do than troll Dan and what you've said is true. No-one is forcing the naysayers to respond, and there's worse things happening at sea than apparently not phrasing OPs with all the "i's" dotted and "T's" crossed. Best to ignore such posts.

Back to your search, as Jez observes, the Cheviots (whilst a good speaker) aren't especially big (or big enough really) for 12 inch HPDs and Tannoy's tuning point for them is a little unusual in that they were tuned too low for the cabinet volume (so act more like a sealed cab in this respect). They can be retunued easily enough to optimise performance for their volume and can be improved upon to make them a perfectly decent listen. Ultimately, adding 30 or 40 litres to their size with custom cabs is probably the best way to go with them. You need around 135 litres minimum for 315s in vented cabs. Optimum is closer to 150 litres. They perform as well as any 15 inch MG when placed in decent vented cabs (135 to 150 litres)...that comment'll probably spark a Tannoyista row! ;):p

Budget well tbh im looking at about 3k but something has come up and looks like its gonna cost about 1k all in a pair Tannoy Cheviots that to be refurbed

I'd not noticed that, I suspect you'll like them - whilst a tad small for a Tannoy cab the Chevoit isn't bad at all IIRC. One of the better factory options. Don't skimp on the refurb, get them properly reconed by Lockwood, they'll be as good as new then.

If you want to hear LedZep at their greatest, I would suggest a pair of ATC 100s, they'll go as loud as you like.

I'd not noticed that, I suspect you'll like them - whilst a tad small for a Tannoy cab the Chevoit isn't bad at all IIRC. One of the better factory options. Don't skimp on the refurb, get them properly reconed by Lockwood, they'll be as good as new then.

Yep lockwood gonna do the cones full refurb when i ring them Monday,(they dont know it yet lol),and gonna have the crossover caps and bits sorted properly :D

Technically, why might an older school design with a big bass woofer do better job than a modern design with multiple, smaller bass drivers? Is it just efficiency or is there another reason?

Larger diameter driver = heavier cone = lower fundamental resonance = greater bass extension, given suitable box volume and tuning.

Larger driver = wider cabinet = lower baffle step frequency.

Wider box = different presentation, more diffuse. less precise, which some find more natural.

Also less movement for given output, and less movement almost always means lower distortion.

What they do well (rock) I've not heard better...Zep 'nobody's fault but mine' is stunning.
I don't know if they're the best Led Zep speakers in the world, but other than Knebworth '79 (and tbh the sound wasn't that great, especially compared to modern arrays), the best zep audio moment for me was with a pair of Altec Nineteen speakers from the early 70s. If all I ever played was LZ III ~ PG, these are the speakers I would have.
252705-altec_model_nineteen__altec_19.jpg

scaled_587841-altec_lansing_19s.jpg

They look monolithically awesome in a very brown 1970s way. You have to love the look, because being so wide, the eyes can't avoid them ;-)

However, that I don't have a pair of Altec Nineteens indicates certain limitations with other programme material.

Big old Tannoys refurbished by Lockwood sound a fine idea.

Big 70s Altecs should be on everyones' list of speakers to listen to at least once this lifetime. As should the Big Gerbil 4X and 3X speakers from the seventies and eighties. Actually, I have heard a rumour that a pair of refurbished, upgraded and non-minorly tweeked JBL4331s will be coming online in Tokyo shortly - should you be passing through (Yen is weak, so probably cheaper to visit Tokyo than London from where you are ATM ;-)).
IME speakers that do hardbop will also do 70s rawk. It's the 'female vocals' side of things that will grate ;-)

Hey Joel! I've yet to listen to one of those Kenrick JBL refurb jobs in Tokyo or anywhere else. I've heard JBL 4344s or 4343s in the jazz Disk Unions quite a no. of times but they seem to underwhelm; even the baby 4312s sound better...

advertisement

Back