advertisement

Real Speakers

lrt, what "high quality modern standmounts" are you referring to yourself?

Bit of a cop out me thinks, have you really listened to any high quality modern standmounts or just wanted to start a thread?

"Thinks" what you want! Its not a cop out i know what ive listened to and if i put down every single speaker i listened to it would take all day so NO its not a cop out!

As we discussed earlier Dan, you have a point regarding some fashion-box stand mounts of today and the market for big speakers is comparatively small. If looking at older designs, Tannoy HPD 315s (12 inch) in custom cabs; Yamaha NS1000s, some of the older Castle Acoustics speakers, Celestion Dittton 66s (properly sorted) and any big JBL would probably give you what you're looking for. None, in sorted trim are particularly cheap simply due to age requiring some refurbishment works and because of growing scarcity/rising prices.

There are modern stand mounts which kick proverbial butt in the scale department, but to get those that can do this whilst keeping distortion lowish, sensitivity acceptable etc usually means pretty decent (expensive) drive units capable of both the power handling and smooth performance necessary but quite difficult for a small 2-way. There are plenty of examples on the market. None are particularly cheap. My own "Raptors" fall into this category.

It comes down to whether you'd like big and effortless, or small (tidy and compact) with big scale but demanding more power (it's a trade off). For some, there's no substitute for cubes...

As we discussed earlier Dan, you have a point regarding some fashion-box stand mounts of today and the market for big speakers is comparatively small. If looking at older designs, Tannoy HPD 315s (12 inch) in custom cabs; Yamaha NS1000s, some of the older Castle Acoustics speakers, Celestion Dittton 66s (properly sorted) and any big JBL would probably give you what you're looking for. None, in sorted trim are particularly cheap simply due to age requiring some refurbishment works and because of growing scarcity/rising prices.

There are modern stand mounts which kick proverbial butt in the scale department, but to get those that can do this whilst keeping distortion lowish, sensitivity acceptable etc usually means pretty decent (expensive) drive units capable of both the power handling and smooth performance necessary but quite difficult for a small 2-way. There are plenty of examples on the market. None are particularly cheap. My own "Raptors" fall into this category.

It comes down to whether you'd like big and effortless, or small (tidy and compact) with big scale but demanding more power (it's a trade off). For some, there's no substitute for cubes...

Yes thank you for your advice and knowledge at least i now know what direction to go in :)

I've found big rooms sound better, and in big rooms big speakers with big woofers show their class.

Smaller speakers can sound perfectly fine in smaller rooms.

Meaty, beaty, big 'n bouncy...I know what OP is talking about. JBL's the way to go, west coast sound etc. Small monitors often just don't have balls - polite, precise, clean, uncoloured, inefficient...but horses for courses

"Thinks" what you want! Its not a cop out i know what ive listened to and if i put down every single speaker i listened to it would take all day so NO its not a cop out!
Can't see why you don't want to mention at least one speaker you can suggest sounds the way you describe, I find it a little odd that's all after such a damning opening statement.

lrt, what "high quality modern standmounts" are you referring to yourself?
I havn't made such a damning statement on the current state of speakers, I think a statement such as this should be backed up with a couple of examples. I don't think this is a lot to ask, surely.

I havn't made such a damning statement on the current state of speakers, I think a statement such as this should be backed up with a couple of examples. I don't think this is a lot to ask, surely.

You asked and got a perfectly reasonable response. Continuing to hammer the point just appears as if you are trying to pick a fight.

lrt,

It's bullying posts like yours that put me off forums. The guy is entitled to his opening statement and also entitled to withhold examples if he chooses. That you don't like it is something you will have to live with, I'm afraid. Constant haranguing will not get you the result you crave. Of that we can be certain.

Thank you Nic,i really didnt want to mention the makes as it could offend some people they might love the speakers.

Sony APM22.

Lovely things and come up reasonably frequently for sale.
Bought a pair recently for about £150 and they are definitely in BC1/3-6/Harbeth C7 territory. Better in some ways.

Very clean, nice big open sound and a stunning tweeter.

I miss my old Tannoy M20 Golds with NAD 3020 amp combo. Gutted I gave them away when the surrounds started rotting instead of repairing them. :(

If you like the old fashioned smooth warm type of sound these two can be picked up for around £400 for the pair on eBay.

advertisement

Back