advertisement

Re use of tantalum capacitors.

chiily

PFM Special Builder
Finally going to service an old CB NAP160 that I've had since about 1993. Back in 2007 ish I replaced the PSU caps but not the tants. Since doing the PSU caps the amp hasn't seen much use.

Anyway, I have quite a few other projects that used tants caps, like the original Starfish preamp from around 2007 which again didn't get much use. Could I re use those tants for servicing this NAP, or do tants have a finite on the shelf lifespan?

Clearly, if you think I'm being tight just say so :)

They can have a very long life in use when used well - but if you crack the epoxy seal, which is almost a given when you remove them/ the leads get bent out of order - def not so much.

Buy some new... as @david ellwood suggests ;)

Tantalum cap's last for ever (almost).
Yours are presumably beads - radial leads? If so slight, even substantial, damage to the encapsulant will do no harm whatsoever, so long as the anode isn't damaged, it acts to hold the whole assembly together/in place and to provide protection from mechanical damage, that is all - like all plastics, it offers minimal "protection" from gas/vapour/moisture. There is no seal to break or damage.

Back in my RACAL days, manufacturing made a point of hand fitting small glass beads on the leads of the bead tantalum capacitors, just to reduce cracking the epoxy. There must have been a reason for this expensive process.

Back in my RACAL days, manufacturing made a point of hand fitting small glass beads on the leads of the bead tantalum capacitors, just to reduce cracking the epoxy. There must have been a reason for this expensive process.
For D.I.Y. builders, aiming for quality over build efficiency, this sounds interesting.

And small glass beads are *really* cheap.

Nothing strikes me as at all obvious, having made many thousands when I worked for AVX tantalum.

The encapsulant is just a "wrapper" to hold the assembly together - no doubt there will be an X-ray of one onlne somewhere, so that you can see most of the assembly.

If there is any damage to the actual capacitive element (which is essentially the anode - the sintered and anodised tantalum "sponge"), it would most likely go SC, with a far smaller chance of going OC.

To give you an idea of how robust the things are, the way that we checked % coverage of the dielectric (tantalum pentoxide), with the cathode material (manganese dioxide), a sample of cap's were cooked in a pressure cooker for an hour or so, so that water became the cathode material, filling the "sponge" and pretty much covering all of the dielectric. Sure, you would get a few total duds, but most survived to be able to measure them. They were measured before cooking, so you had a measure of how much dielectric was covered with cathode material.

In recent years, minute PTFE washers were used by AVX, on the Ta leadwire that formed part of the anode. This was before anodising and was to stop/restrict cathode material migrating up the leadwire, which would give a short as the leadwire wasn't anodised. Everything was mechanised and the assembly of the washers to the leadwires and the anodes assembled to what were/are called stringers - strips of SS or aluminium that held many anodes, like washing on a line - had already moved to the Czech Republic before I worked there, so I never saw it.

If the tants are in the signal path swap them out for Nichicon ES bi polar, I do this on the Revox R2Rs and it maintains that punchy sound but sound cleaner and sweeter.
Alan

Are they the shiny green ones?

Maybe I should try them again, but they sounded bright to me when I tried them.

Tantalum cap's last for ever (almost).
Classic vinny, admittedly more reliable than aluminium electrolytics but still fragile by any other standard. The great thing about tants is they tend to fail short circuit, so easy to find faulty ones.

The other things about tant's is that the older they are, the longer they are statistically likely to last - the fact that they have survived means that you won't have infant mortality.

Unless someone supplies Weibull-aged tant's. and you use those.........................................

By bipolar tant's, do you mean non-polar?
If so, they are just two seperate cap's connected in series, back to back (anode to anode), so they are large because of how series cap' works. (Connecting the anode of a tant' to -ve, destroys the anodising faster than a very fast thing...)

Was reading about tants in old gear recently. Apparently if you well over spec the voltage rating they are almost totally unlikely to fail. Run them near voltage rating and they are likely to fail fairly rapidly.

Some of them did that from brand new with suitably high dV/dt - like in a Naim CDI where they're at the input to the regs and effectively across the main smoothing caps. That's a lot of current too.

I love the whip-crack sound they make when you over-voltage them. As long as they don’t take an eye out, you’ll probably never find them again, just the leads sticking out from the board. Or should I have said “never see them again”?

I had bag of 10uF 35v 15% of which exploded when first powered on if being used for power decoupling. The ones in less demanding locations were fine. They were well within their voltage rating

advertisement

Back