advertisement

RCA to 5 Pin Din cable upgrade

Stew B

Doh !
I am looking at upgrading my interconnect cable from my Rega DAC R into my Naim 102, I am currently using a Flashback Premier cable, which is V Good ( Dave, RIP sadly missed). I have always used Flashback before as they offered good quality at an affordable price, so looking around there is the Audioquest Big Sur at £99 from Futureshop and Chord as well at £125 but that is getting a bit too much for me unless it was made from Pixie dust.

Any other alternatives you guys are using that are good at below £100 or do I just stick to the flashback cable. The SQ is great, I am really pleased with my streaming set up from my Innous Zen Mini 2 but was wondering if there may be better alternatives at reasonable cost.
thanks

If you like what you have I'd be tempted to stick with it.

Cables are a minefield. Typically, you don't see huge improvements, just a tonal swing one way or another. There are exceptions but from my experience a new cable is more likely to be wrong for you that better. You can go through a lot of cables and get nowhere.

These days I only try a new cable if there is something I'm not happy about and I'm looking to swing the tonal balance a bit. I don't consider changing cables if nothing is wrong.

Thanks Mr Pig, yeh I know, you can spend £100's and not really get a difference, was just wondering if anyone had got some magic cable they found to be a good value upgrade. The thing is that the flashback ones were really good VFM so I am tempted to stick

I don't believe that there is any such thing as a cable upgrade; cable change that one happens to prefer, maybe.

You could try a used Chord Co. Chrysalis 2 x RCA to DIN5. Should be cheap, and I've found them to sound much like Naim's old SNAIC5; which they should do as they use the same old Beyer microphone cable.

If nothing else, these would provide a point of reference against what you already have for very little outlay. Plus, you'd have another well made RCA to DIN interconnect, should you wish to connect an additional line level source.

post-149394-0-67017500-1416885940_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
I have some Flashback Premiere cables and they are superb VFM.
They performed slightly better than standard Naim grey (=Chord Chrysalis as above)
I have some Chord i/c higher up hierarchy, not that much difference to my ears

I sometime use Klotz cables from my Rega Dac, their ac110 is identical to Rega Couple 1, and great value around €50.
Never seen them with DIN though.

You will have to spend a lot of money to better what you already have........
Siltech or the Audioquest with an active ground/shield would be better but at a price !

Shields up!

Never mind the 48V/72V dielectric-bias system, I want some of that PSC+ 'perfect-surface' treatment for my sensitive skin irritation!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back