advertisement

RB300, potential?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
I have a Rega RB300 tonearm, which I 'upgraded' my early 1980s vintage Planar 3 TT with about 20-odd years ago. I sold the Acos Lustre arm it came with.

I've just decided to send it to Audio Origami for a rewire and general fettling (shouldn't need much, the bearings seem in good shape and it's not seen overmuch hard use over the years). My question to the learned assembly here is, where does a rewired RB300 sit in the general scheme of things? I'm expecting it to be a fair bit better than the ProJect Carbon, which in my experience can be lively and fun, but is also a bit crude and lacking in any real authority. But obviously it's going to be a hell of a lot below the performance of either of Johnnie's own tonearms (both of which I like, a lot, but can't yet stretch to). So, are there any other contemporary tonearms whose performance a rewired RB300 stacks up against? If so, what sort of price point?

Turntable will probably be an Avid Diva II, with an Ortofon 2M Black. Amps are Albarry, using the onboard MM phono stage, into Russell K Red 150s.

I did an arm bake-off with AO rb250, Roksan Tabriz, Audiomods V and Audio Note Arm 1V2.

The Rega was by far the best VFM and in my opinion bettered the AN but lacked a little finesse compared to the Tabriz (also AO re-wired) and the Audiomods.

So in answer, Tabriz or Audiomods are better, but you'd need Artemiz (which I have) or SME new series for substantial gains.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was hoping for. I aspire to the sort of finesse and authority of the PU7, and the musicality of the UniArm, but these things cost. If I can get a taste of either, I'll be a happy bunny. Not really a fan of the SME arms, if I'm honest, I've found them a bit grey and lacking in expressiveness when I've heard them.

even the RB300 and co are very expensive these days? When I bought mine it cost me £120 I think..,,,,,

advertisement

Back