advertisement

Raven AC turntable on Craigslist, Scam?

Probably. I had a mate ring me in high excitement about some McIntosh high end stuff for about 2/3 its value, apparently on Gumtree near me, would I mind collecting? I sent an email offering to collect, got the usual crap about "I'm away for work in Devon/the Outer Hebrides/Mongolia,and it's boxed up in the car, but if you transfer the money by bank transfer I'll post it, blah blah."
I strung him along for a bit then asked if he'd accept Western Union transfer. He asked "Are you having a laugh?"
"Yes I am but you started it. We both know you don't own this item, however in the unlikely event that you do I'll meet with cash."
No reply. I raised a complaint with Gumtree and they pulled the ad.

So if it seems like a scam it probably is, see if he will accept cash on collection, if not then you know.

Just for a laugh i emailed regarding 100 Gumtree adverts over the course of two weeks. Only two turned out to be genuine. The other 98 appeared to be from just two scammers.

Just for a laugh i emailed regarding 100 Gumtree adverts over the course of two weeks. Only two turned out to be genuine. The other 98 appeared to be from just two scammers.

Unfortunately it seems craigslist is very much the same recently. Loads of scams this week offering free iphones and free ipads with no catch! Umm yes.

Dan's house in North Ayreshire is a very popular location for vintage TAD, JBL, Tannoys and all manner of pro music gear. Who ever the f*** Dan is.

Barclays like to help small businesses, in fact maybe they are running workshops for them on how to conduct business.

Well It looks like a scam, except Dan has changed his name to Adriano

I just got this reply

"The turntable is still for sale.I'm located in Irvine at my uncle's place .He recently passed away and I have to sell his belongings.I prefer you will come to collect but if you want I can ship.
I'm waiting your email soon.
Regards Adriano"

Is there a way you can get people's email addresses on to 'prism' or do they have a policy of nicking them only?

Well It looks like a scam, except Dan has changed his name to Adriano

I just got this reply

"The turntable is still for sale.I'm located in Irvine at my uncle's place .He recently passed away and I have to sell his belongings.I prefer you will come to collect but if you want I can ship.
I'm waiting your email soon.
Regards Adriano"

He's offering collection , seems a pretty poor/stupid scammer .

Double bluff - as in 'Of course I am genuine, as you can see I have no problems come and check out the item first..'

Except, pound to a penny there will always be some unfortunate clash of circumstances which prevent Dan/Adriano from meeting you in person (but if you wire the money through, sure it'll be grand.. :)

(Either that, or land somewhere out of town with hard cash in your pocket, and you might meet Dan and a buddy, and end up driving home with neither cash nor purchase)

I would very much doubt that the average scammer would try the latter approach. There are too many risks involved. What if the punter turns up with a tyre iron in his pocket? I would, if I had doubts. Alternatively I'd bring my own buddy. It's the old Scarface line: "I got it close by". Yes indeed, in the car idling outside with my 2 mates in it. Are you and your mate still feeling so brave? I'd say not. They'd sooner hang it out until some mug wires the money, because then they can disappear without the risk of someone getting ugly.

He claims he's in Irvine, Scotland. I mailed him and asked to come over and pick it up and pay cash, but surprise surprise two days later he's not replied.

I would very much doubt that the average scammer would try the latter approach. There are too many risks involved. What if the punter turns up with a tyre iron in his pocket? I would, if I had doubts. Alternatively I'd bring my own buddy. It's the old Scarface line: "I got it close by". Yes indeed, in the car idling outside with my 2 mates in it. Are you and your mate still feeling so brave? I'd say not. They'd sooner hang it out until some mug wires the money, because then they can disappear without the risk of someone getting ugly.

It's perhaps unusual but not totally unknown Steve - been reported round these parts here on at least two occasions that I can recall in the last 4/5 years, albeit with in the first case a s/h car instead of hifi kit, and in the other a failed attempt involving a stolen/ringed motorbike that had been offered for sale. In both cases oddly enough (or perhaps not) the buyers and purported sellers were - allegedly - of Eastern European origin. Caveat Emptor as they say.

advertisement

Back