advertisement

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

Do you think that the introduction of the converters may have an (audible) impact on the sound quality?

On the analog output, maybe (but unlikely, as John correctly pointed out). On digital output, no.

Do you think that a RPi will always be behind a laptop-based solution (DAC being extra)?

No, no reason why it would.

do you think that the lower CPU-power (and more basic CPU-memory structure) compared to an actual laptop, may be the reason?

A lower-powered CPU, with a slower clock frequency, generates much less HF noise than a high-power one. The ARM processor in the Pi also uses technology developed for mobile phones for softening the noise spectrum.

Just playing music, unless you need to do heavy DSP or resampling, takes very little CPU (and I/O) power, and extra power provides no benefit.

So Volumio ....probably been addressed before but am I the only numpty that can't get to the configuration screens? Google wont recognise volumio.local/ on either my laptop or smartphone -- typing in the IP address gets access to a password box but typing in roots/volumio or volumio/volumio gets to a page that recommends checking out the case of the password. A variety of tries at a mix of capitals/lower case does't get anywhere but more frustration -- anyone any ideas?
Using Pi B with brand new install of 1.5 and an ethernet connection.
Steve

the Raspberry Pi is an amazing machine. I just bought a Model A+ as a Puredata and Supercollider module (currently trying to figure out how to get 8 in a multiprocessor array for surround -- needs some special kernel I cannot get my head around, but I am learning and that is the point.

Its done for this old dog precisely what it is supposed to do for younger folk.

The other interesting Raspberry Pi machine is the Odroid W which is 100% compatible with the Rpi, take the card out and plug it in the Odroid and it boots. Smaller, faster, lower current draw, 900MHz @ 116mA... whoah. Unfortunately AIUI its been axed because Broadcomm has restricted the chipset so only the RPi foundation can make RPis so they cannot make any more.

Ok Ok a complete numpty -- using the wrong IP address -- fixed now with some smooth jazz currently playing on web radio
Steve

Hi Guys, many moons ago I tried to run LMS on Rpi for my squeeze system all was fine other than it did not have sufficient horsepower to down sample with SOX. I particular necessity for me as I have many different squeeze clients of differing replay capabilities and sometimes stream high resolution flacs. I replaced the Rpi with a BBB and the BBB has been very happy being my LMS server since.

I now have the idea of trying the Rpi as a squeeze client, by running squeezelite on it. So I dusted off the Rpi but it failed to boot although its now running after a re-flash of the SD card. Sqeezelite is installed and synchronised on my system with all the other players using the pies headphone jack.

I intend tagging onto the pies I2S and stuffing it straight into may SillyDac.

So heres the question, will the I2S data output terminals be live or does it need some caressing?

Regards
Tony

Hi Guys, many moons ago I tried to run LMS on Rpi for my squeeze system all was fine other than it did not have sufficient horsepower to down sample with SOX. I particular necessity for me as I have many different squeeze clients of differing replay capabilities and sometimes stream high resolution flacs. I replaced the Rpi with a BBB and the BBB has been very happy being my LMS server since.

I now have the idea of trying the Rpi as a squeeze client, by running squeezelite on it. So I dusted off the Rpi but it failed to boot although its now running after a re-flash of the SD card. Sqeezelite is installed and synchronised on my system with all the other players using the pies headphone jack.

I intend tagging onto the pies I2S and stuffing it straight into may SillyDac.

So heres the question, will the I2S data output terminals be live or does it need some caressing?

Regards
Tony
Tony, why not use picoreplayer? Latest buildmof squeezelite, nice gui, I2S support. Brilliant sound out into your Buff.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I opted for squeezelite as I expected it to integrate into my existing family of squeeze players, the main hifi rig is only a small part.

The Rpi runs headless, we have plenty of GUIs around the place that work with LMS.

I know nothing of picoreplayer, what is it.

Thanks Mark, I opted for squeezelite as I expected it to integrate into my existing family of squeeze players, the main hifi rig is only a small part.

The Rpi runs headless, we have plenty of GUIs around the place that work with LMS.

I know nothing of picoreplayer, what is it.

Yeah, picoreplayer is designed to run headless. Mine does. My LMS is on a fanless windows machine at present. I might go for another Rpi and run it on that.

Mark

No sox for me. Everything on one rate, all convolved with room correction filters applied offline.

Do try picoreplayer if you only need a client. Easy to set up and very stable. Mine's run happily for months without crashing, hanging ormotherwise giving me grief.

Two aspects.

1. Software. Your kernel needs to support the I2S. Used to be very tedious, now ready made.
2. Hardware. The I2S pins need a physical connector to be soldered in. At least on older Pies.

I made it all work once with a uPnP renderer. But I couldn't get to grips with the controllers, they all seem a bit cack, even Linn's Kinsky. So a return to Squeeze is on the cards. Pi will be I2S to my Buffalo via Twisted Pear Transporters.

Paul

Two aspects.

1. Software. Your kernel needs to support the I2S. Used to be very tedious, now ready made.
2. Hardware. The I2S pins need a physical connector to be soldered in. At least on older Pies.

I made it all work once with a uPnP renderer. But I couldn't get to grips with the controllers, they all seem a bit cack, even Linn's Kinsky. So a return to Squeeze is on the cards. Pi will be I2S to my Buffalo via Twisted Pear Transporters.

Paul

Thanks for the tips Paul

So I'm back home, swapped the WaveIO for the Rpi on the buffaloes I2S pins, dipped into picoreplayer to change from headphones to I2S, picked Sabre 9023 (I know I have 9018 Sabres) and it does indeed worky !
Playing 192Khz no problem, dropping audio on some 88Khz and giving a single pop when the next track starts.

Off to the vets now, puppy needs her jabs.

advertisement

Back