advertisement

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

I am up and running with USB DAC except that:

If I leave -a blank then 16/44 audio crackles but 24-bit plays fine.

If I force 16-bit output then no more crackles but presumably no 24-bit either (no easy way to check). I still get high-res sampling rates.

Tim

Which DAC? Squeezelite is runnng on what hardware? Which Linux distro?

Unfortunately Teac is in the list and max. bit depth is 16 bit and was tested with 44.1 and those settings:

-a 160::16:1 -o hw:0,0 -r 192000

Hmm, i think you should wait for the new piCorePlayer release, it will be posted soon, maybe with newer kernel&kernel driver your Teac will work better.

Maybe this is the solution:

http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi

:)

Has anyone actually tried PiCorePlayer with the Audiolab/Lakewest MDAC? I fancy building something, just for the fun of it, but it will need to play nicely with my MDAC

Finally found some time for testing with my new MF M1 DAC.

It runs nicely up to 96k with Daphile.

With PiCorePlayer, I get crackling. Not the occasional pops I had with the old DAC, but crackling all along. Not (obvious?) on all tracks though. For what ever reason.

Tried more or less all ALSA settings Tomek recommended the last few pages.

Output is
-o front:CARD=M2496,DEV=0

I tried slipping in "hw" in there, no luck.
The list seems to say my DAC can only due 48, whilst a VF II Dac can do 96. Not sure that's true. Tried the setting for the VF II but no sound then.

Will continue to play around a bit more.

Does -a 40::16 fix the crackling?

Tim

Finally found some time for testing with my new MF M1 DAC.

It runs nicely up to 96k with Daphile.

With PiCorePlayer, I get crackling. Not the occasional pops I had with the old DAC, but crackling all along. Not (obvious?) on all tracks though. For what ever reason.

Tried more or less all ALSA settings Tomek recommended the last few pages.

Output is
-o front:CARD=M2496,DEV=0

I tried slipping in "hw" in there, no luck.
The list seems to say my DAC can only due 48, whilst a VF II Dac can do 96. Not sure that's true. Tried the setting for the VF II but no sound then.

Will continue to play around a bit more.

Tim,
no, there is no sound at all if I try that. (40::16)

I think I will wait for the new release to come out shortly, and try again from scratch.

Well, new Version is out. But trying to connect via ssh I suddenly get this (xxxx'ed out some crucial figures):

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the DSA key sent by the remote host is
e9:29:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:de:f3:ea.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/topa/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending DSA key in /Users/topa/.ssh/known_hosts:1
DSA host key for 192.168.xxxxxxxxx has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

Huh?????

Well, new Version is out. But trying to connect via ssh I suddenly get this (xxxx'ed out some crucial figures):

@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the DSA key sent by the remote host is
e9:29:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:de:f3:ea.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/topa/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending DSA key in /Users/topa/.ssh/known_hosts:1
DSA host key for 192.168.xxxxxxxxx has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

Huh?????

That is an indication that the system has to generate a new ssh key. Your PC still has the old key stored, and detects a mismatch. You will have to remove the old key from /Users/topa/.ssh/known_hosts - it will be line 1.

Julf,
thank you, that actually makes sense.
I can't track down that file or even file-tree for the matter though. Must be hidden somehow on the Mac.

That is an indication that the system has to generate a new ssh key. Your PC still has the old key stored, and detects a mismatch. You will have to remove the old key from /Users/topa/.ssh/known_hosts - it will be line 1.

This is a case where a swift single Linux command line puts things back on an even keel with ease. I have no idea how to do it in the graphical enviroment of a mac though. Graphical user interfaces are scary after living with Linux :D

tomek,
thank you, found that page too and didn't know how to apply it.
But another page solved my problem, for anyone else in the same situation, open terminal and type (where username of course is your own username):

"open /Users/username/.ssh/known_hosts"

This will open your Texteditor, and you can delete all contents of the file (should you like me never use SSH for anything else) and save the file in the editor, as a blank page. Voila.

This is a case where a swift single Linux command line puts things back on an even keel with ease. I have no idea how to do it in the graphical enviroment of a mac though. Graphical user interfaces are scary after living with Linux :D

Exactly. I have decided to steer clear of my wife's mac... :)

I still find these command lines scary.
But mainly because I have no idea of even the most basic commands.
I can only copy & paste and see what happens.

Trying to learn though, I was quite fluent in DOS back in the days, so I'll get there sooner or later... ;-)

Thank you all for your advice and patience !!!

I still find these command lines scary.
But mainly because I have no idea of even the most basic commands.
I can only copy & paste and see what happens.

Trying to learn though, I was quite fluent in DOS back in the days, so I'll get there sooner or later... ;-)

Thank you all for your advice and patience !!!

I get by in a reasonable manner with Linux and occasional hand holding. Initially it scared the pants off me!

My main secret it the "paste" you mention.

Most of my scripts gets pasted into a word processor document along with a little text that means something to me.
From there on it is just a matter of cntl c & v.
A year down the line I could even understand what I pasted and create my own variants.

Back to Hardware, a field I'm more confident in.

I took a short USB extension cable, cut it up and resoldered it with only the two Data lines still connected. (Green and White). Shielding, Ground and +5V have been cut off.

Same result as always with PiCorePlayer off the Raspberry, crackling. This was expected, as it the reason seems to be a too closely linked USB and Network host.

Daphile, running on my Shuttle PC seems to profit a little. Maybe I'm fooled by expectations, or my imagination, but I think it sounds a bit clearer and airier with the little DIY USB isolator in between.

advertisement

Back