advertisement

Rare John Martyn

Theo

pfm Member
I'm trying to track down a copy of an Australian-only single by JM in the late 70's - 'In Search of Anna.' Pretty rare: anybody seen or heard it? Can it be downloaded anywhere? Have heard a live version from 1983 but would love a copy of the original.

Many thanks
Theo

John's website says this about it, you'll be extremely lucky to find a copy. It sounds interesting, good luck:-

"Released in Australia only. The theme tune to the Australian film of the same name released in 1978 and directed by Esben Storm. The song was recorded on 29th July 1978 at United Sound Studios, Sydney, Australia with final mix and production in March 1979. The B side is a live recording of Certain Surprise recorded in Sydney during a tour in 1977.

This has not been released in any other format, on an album for example, however a live version (albeit very different from this single) has been released on Live At The Bottom Line, New York 1983 (Collectors Series Volume3 by Voiceprint in 2001). A very rare single, if you ever see one buy it!"

Thanks - I originally got the info from the JM site. Don't suppose anybody has a copy?

Afraid not, other than on the Bottom Line CD. Check out this site though.....maybe worth dropping a line to a couple of them - there's a few mentions of live versions of it?

http://www.dmaddern.fslife.co.uk/

Or try to find a copy of the video?

he just received a lifetime award from R2
about time too....
good luck with your search theo
i'm a bit of a JM 'completist' myself. The websies advise about dodgy compilations (i.e. don't bother) is pretty much spot on too.

I have tried seeing john martyn three times now, walked out every time.

I have now given up on ever seeing him perform well live.

Pissed his talent up the wall.

and whatever possessed him to record with phil collins?

I've seen him every time he's been anywhere near Manchester for the past 25 years. Not always at his best (who is?), but when he's on form, no-one else comes close.
Phil Collins has been one of his best mates for years, and whatever else you may think of him, he's a stunningly good drummer (IMO of course)

I have tried seeing john martyn three times now, walked out every time.

I have now given up on ever seeing him perform well live.

Pissed his talent up the wall.

and whatever possessed him to record with phil collins?

I saw John Martyn quite a few times in the '70s and '80s. I seem to recall him playing some gigs with Phil Collins on drums at one point. Judging by a documentary I saw on him, he is an alcoholic and loves drugs. All a bit sad really.

I went to see John Fahey a month ago. He made some great albums in the '60s and was one of the finest guitarists the UK has ever produced. He also has a history of drug problems. His playing was shite and he came over as pathetically off his trolley. I walked out and would never by a ticket to see him again.

I saw John Martyn quite a few times in the '70s and '80s. I seem to recall him playing some gigs with Phil Collins on drums at one point. Judging by a documentary I saw on him, he is an alcoholic and loves drugs. All a bit sad really.

I went to see John Fahey a month ago. He made some great albums in the '60s and was one of the finest guitarists the UK has ever produced. He also has a history of drug problems. His playing was shite and he came over as pathetically off his trolley. I walked out and would never by a ticket to see him again.

Are you sure you mean John Fahey? AFAIK, John Fahey (the American guitarist) died a couple of years ago! Should we be calling Ghostbusters? Perhaps that explains his poor playing?
Gary

Are you sure you mean John Fahey? AFAIK, John Fahey (the American guitarist) died a couple of years ago! Should we be calling Ghostbusters? Perhaps that explains his poor playing?
Gary

Yeah you better call in Ghostbusters. I meant to write Davy Graham.

I never ever got the see John Fahey live, although I have got a couple of DVDs of him.

I saw Davy Graham at the Union Chapel in Islington. I'd never seen him perform live before and was looking forward to it. He was an influence on the development of people like Bert Jansch and even Jimmy Page, plus his tune Anji is played by a million guitarist buskers, but ...

Oh yeah, his latest album is pants as well.

Jack

Seen John Martyn on every tour since the mid 70's: he's been disinterested, but I've never known a truly bad gig. Preferred him on his own or with Danny Thompson, but I've seen some cracking band gigs too.

Saw him do Solid Air in its entirety last year: leading up to the album he played a few songs, and it was all a bit shaky - a car crash waiting to happen. Then suddenly he was half way through Solid Air and the band - and John - clicked. It was spellbinding: it reminded me why I love his music in the first place. Unlike so many other artist who really do piss their talents away, John seems acutely aware of what he can still do, if he can be bothered.

advertisement

Back