advertisement

Rare groove shops facing extinction

Richard S

pfm Member
It seems that these are hard times for London Record/CD shops;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6707255.stm

I don't travel to London very often so I'm not at all familiar with any of these outlets.

I do, however frequent "Vinyl Valley" in Manchester as often as possible. Let's hope that sources of music do not disappear completely. I still enjoy browsing and more than once have left a shop with a copy of whatever was playing on the instore system (Ed Harcourt springs to mind)

Regards
Richard S

The area around Oldham St in the Northern Quarter sometimes goes by this name on account of the plethora of music shops. I first saw it called this in an Observer feature on the best places to shop in Britain. If you head for Piccadilly Records you're there.

HTH
Richard S

One thing I don't understand is why this seems to be happening all over the UK but places like Shibuya in Tokyo are still knee deep in fantastic record shops of every description. Rent can't be any cheaper surely?

It's simple

The rates on the shops go up, the products become more expensive, loads of people buy from ebay, and young rascals pay nothing and copy all there music.

Not so many people interested in buying old / rare vinyl

The Japanese are special, they seem to be fanatical collectors of all sorts of stuff

G

One thing I don't understand is why this seems to be happening all over the UK but places like Shibuya in Tokyo are still knee deep in fantastic record shops of every description. Rent can't be any cheaper surely?

Rent probably is cheaper--London's the most expensive city in the world.

This thread is pertient to my interests.

I will inspect Berwick Street / Poland Street tomorrow.

DS

10 years ago Mister Cd was the cheapest place to buy CDs, it created a niche by under cutting the HMVs of this world. Sad to see it go but it's no longer the cheapest place to buy Cds.
Since Sister ray took over Selecta Disc it seems to be doing well. I am just worried that even moreof the smaller shops will disappear.

And people are buying fewer records and the prices of second hand vinyl is coming down. One of the reasons that I sold all my vinyl is that it seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper. I think vinyl will continue to go down in price, CD sales will tail off and digital will dominate.

In all honesty, outside the world of the audiophile and the nerdy collector, who else now bothers buying records? Even the DJ market is drying up.

Charlie

The good news is that another group of vinyl lovers have bought up the stock of Reckless and taken over the old Soul and Dance shop in Berwick Street.

They have even started taking in new stock.

I got a few rarities there today, but baulked at paying £40 + each for the admittedly rare Merzbow vinyl.

They even have a Loricraft record cleaning machine on the counter!

Otherwise Sister Ray, Vinyl Junkie, Soul Jazz, R+TE and Phonica all still lively and active.

HMV on Oxford Street has aforementioned Sunn (((((O))))) + Boris - Altar for £32.00, too dear for me.

DS

I have seen the GSTQ record at Beanos, and unfortunately been told it wasn't part of the 50% off all 7" vinyl offer.

It must be real, as I have bought other records from the Claire mentioned.

DS

ITCHD - Konrad Blank - Gink Gank Gonk

advertisement

Back