advertisement

Radio Paradise, Spotify and desktop listening

clownfish

It's all in the details
I work from home and most of my listening happens at my desk.

My study system is a modest mixture of old and new. New Macbook Air -> ifi Zen Dac V2 -> Optonica SM-7100 -> Q Acoustics 3010i.

Inspired by the recent "FM aerials. Talk to me" thread I thought I'd switch from my usual fare of Spotify (and occasionally vinyl from my Optonica RP-7100) to Radio Paradise. Well..... what was a surprise was waiting for me.

I have grown used to Spotify and it is more than adequate for my listening purposes. In fact I was beginning to wonder why anyone needs anything more. Swapping to RP (FLAC mode) was a bit of a shock. When Wild Sweet started pouring out of my little monitors I was genuinely taken aback by the detail, solidity and even depth of what I was hearing. I never really expected much of a difference and thought the equipment would probably mask anything in the source. The ifi Zen really seems to be a stunner in this context and helps deliver more that I realised was possible from this system with its 40+ year-old amp.

Incidentally the headphone amp in the ifi seems to drive my Massdrop HD 6xx nicely and produce a very enjoyable sound when I need to switch the speakers off. The Optonica headphone amp surprised me by being even better. Not really more detail, just a bit more oomph where it matters.

Happy days !

Anyone else mixing modest old and new to good effect?

Most definitely. I connect tablet PCs to old amplifiers and vintage speakers via a BT dongle, it's great. One thing to know, not all sources are created equal. Bill of Rdio Paradise used to be a music producer or similar and his feeds sound very good. Better than most radio feeds for sure. I suspect that he applies a little EQ somewhere. I'd love to know, because the quality is consistently very good.

Yep System 2, I feed a Wiim Pro with Caiman SEG50 and 90s Technics SLPG-440A (cdp) into 80s Cambridge C50 & A50 connected to 80s Arcam Two Plus, all strung together with original 80s ICs & SCs.

Have an Arylic DIY module stuck to the back of my Beomaster 5000 controlled by and fed from a tablet (my music stored on a 256GB micro SD card) - again a listener to Paradise - all sounds perfectly good to me.
The only other boxes now are my TT speakers and PSU box for the Arylic and PT1đź‘Ť.

Bit of cross over but some more here as well, hard to find the URLs.

advertisement

Back