advertisement

Radio Broadband

mercalia

pfm Member
any one here use radio broadband rather than a fibre or landline cable ( in the UK)? ie a router with a sim card.

any one here use radio broadband rather than a fibre or landline cable ( in the UK)? ie a router with a sim card.
We did for a few years until abvout a year ago. Used Smarty. It was very good at first, but degenerated to not able to watch video, although even then it was better than the shocking copper connection we had previously for many years. I don't know if this was from everyone in the locality jumping on, or Smarty throttling it. Have fibre now, not at speeds you see advertised, but, apart from when it goes off, adequate.

Yes, I did for a couple of years. It was okay and got me the 10mbs I needed to watch YouTube and listen to Spotify. It could be a bit temperamental but on the whole, it worked. You can get booster for outside as well, I was renting at the time so couldn’t take advantage of these but they should help you get a better connection and speed. I’m now back in the land of the living and after binning off Virgin (who‘s service was just awful), have a 1gb connection via EE which hasn’t skipped a beat, happy days

My sister and niece both got on reasonably well with it. My sister now is on fibre broadband as Openreach replaced the old copper recently (previously speeds were in low single figures). My niece is sticking with the radio service as her husband doesn't want Openreach drilling holes in their new self build house.

My son uses Three 5G broadband in his flat. It’s extremely fast, very low latency and very reliable. He works from home and is on video calls very regularly without a hitch. You just need to be near a 5G mast.

I suppose you need to find out what existing users say about their service and how they are using it.

My sister and niece both got on reasonably well with it. My sister now is on fibre broadband as Openreach replaced the old copper recently (previously speeds were in low single figures). My niece is sticking with the radio service as her husband doesn't want Openreach drilling holes in their new self build house.
Did he not install an incoming service duct?

Did he not install an incoming service duct?
When they were building, fibre was not on the horizon. Probably the last thing on Darren's mind. Not sure if they even put in a landline.

Then Openreach started prioritising the areas with the worst copper broadband. Anywhere which has less than 10 Mb. My late mum's house is next door and typically you 2.5 - 3.0 Mb on a good day.

I would look at Starlink if you’re serious about off grid broadband. Great product. £75/month, but FTTP speeds.

Bought stacks of them for work. Even the ISP hardware is rock solid. And an absolute synch to set up.

I would look at Starlink if you’re serious about off grid broadband. Great product. £75/month, but FTTP speeds.

Bought stacks of them for work. Even the ISP hardware is rock solid. And an absolute synch to set up.

absurd price. maybe if you are a business but not Fred Bloggs. I am trying Smarty in a TP-Link MR500 router and does a good job for general internet. 50Gb for £8pm

absurd price. maybe if you are a business but not Fred Bloggs. I am trying Smarty in a TP-Link MR500 router and does a good job for general internet. 50Gb for £8pm
Fine if you have a mobile signal, useless if you don't.

Also rock solid bandwidth, which I was unable to get on even EE Rapidsite (which is pretty much the UK gold standard for managed 4g/5g WAN solutions) with an aerial and pole in strong signal areas.

Starlink makes no sense if you can get a good 5G signal. Weather can impact Starlink and the folks I know who have it are getting quite a variation in speeds.

With Three 5G @ £22 PM, junior gets 300 Mbps down, 50 up and latency under 20ms. That’s with the three supplied router.

Starlink is a godsend for those in rural places who have no alternative options though.

Any radio system, and that includes Starlink, is shared by everyone in the cell. Several users on at once and the speed collapses

Last edited:
Starlink makes no sense if you can get a good 5G signal. Weather can impact Starlink and the folks I know who have it are getting quite a variation in speeds.

With Three 5G @ £22 PM, junior gets 3
Any radio system, and that includes Starlink, is shred by everyone in the cell. Several users on at once and the speed collapses
Maybe the case with 5G cells in very heavily populated areas but hopefully not that common. Also, you can get a 5G data contract with prioritised bandwidth. £30 -£35 for unlimited data.

I’m planning on going 5G when my current broadband deal ends. Virgin media have put fibre in the road I live on - I can’t get it. I’ve a BT exchange literally over the back fence, can’t get better than 70Mb FTTC broadband….Ive looked at starlink and 5G and IMO, 5G looks a better proposition. Your very much locked in with Starlink

advertisement

Back