advertisement

Radio 3 Round Midnight jazz show

Some details now up on the new R3 jazz show.

I'm intrigued by this: "a newly discovered live version of Alice Coltrane’s Journey In Satchidananda, which will be played in its full 15 minutes"

I'm pleased it has a determined focus on new music and current artists. I was reflecting the other day, reading about the rather dull Pablo reissue list, that there's a risk of new musicians being squeezed out of record racks by the glut of reissues and remasters. Jazz isn't just museum music - there is great music being made now but, in most of the stores I go into, you'd never know that.

Let's just hope this show doesn't follow the Jazz FM trajectory down the smooth jazz paths after some promising beginnings.

0sJYKkh.jpeg

There's a Pablo reissue program? Wow! You can buy pretty much the entire catalogue for a fiver a pop. Who is buying the reissues?!

There’s some info in this thread from a few days back

Chad “another killer title ” Kassam seems to think there’ll be plenty of takers for some pretty ordinary fare. Subscriptions only $650 for 15 records

There’s some info in this thread from a few days back

Chad “another killer title ” Kassam seems to think there’ll be plenty of takers for some pretty ordinary fare. Subscriptions only $650 for 15 records
Amazing. As other members have said there are actually some decent records on Pablo but they can be had for buttons.

Still, they are well recorded and not very musically challenging... Chad knows his market.

The link will get you there - in the jazz reissues thread

IMHO, many Pablo releases are hardly sonic marvels. In contrast with ECM, where (most) everything bar live recordings is subject to the surgical precision of Eicher's studio, Granz seemed to swing by whichever studio was geographically convenient, and seemed to hire whomever the resident engineer was, regardless of whether they had previously recorded jazz or not.

This often resulted in questionable balance choices, whether that's an overamplified and prominent upright bass, where a bass should not be, or the king-sized nylon-strung guitar of Joe Pass drowning out Oscar's clavichord on Porgy & Bess .....

I've enjoyed the show so far - jazz as (very ) broad church, not overly reverential, mixing new and older music, but plenty worth listening to and quite a few things I'd not heard before. I think Kinch does a decent job as presenter even if it sounds like he's reading a pre-written script at times.

IMHO, many Pablo releases are hardly sonic marvels. In contrast with ECM, where (most) everything bar live recordings is subject to the surgical precision of Eicher's studio, Granz seemed to swing by whichever studio was geographically convenient, and seemed to hire whomever the resident engineer was, regardless of whether they had previously recorded jazz or not.

This often resulted in questionable balance choices, whether that's an overamplified and prominent upright bass, where a bass should not be, or the king-sized nylon-strung guitar of Joe Pass drowning out Oscar's clavichord on Porgy & Bess .....
I think that's fair - and something you could level at quite a lot of jazz recordings from the mid 70s onwards. Though I'm also not a massive fan of the ECM sound either.

I've enjoyed the show so far - jazz as (very ) broad church, not overly reverential, mixing new and older music, but plenty worth listening to and quite a few things I'd not heard before. I think Kinch does a good job as presenter.
I've enjoyed it too. Though I'll confess I've also been a little disappointed. The show billed as "A Song For Evan Parker" was literally just one Evan Parker track played midway through the show and the show promising an 'unreleased' Alice Coltrane live recording was a track from the recently, er, released live LP. So a bit of over-promising going on there.

advertisement

Back