advertisement

Radio 3 recent changes.

Big changes to the daytime schedule coming next week. Breakfast from 6.30 - 9.30, Essential Classics 9.30 - 13.00. Classical Live 13.00 - 16.00 and Composer of the Week 16.00 - 17.00.

Record Review on Saturday moving to an afternoon slot.

If they bin Night Tracks I’ll be really sad to see it go, and I hope they don’t mess with In Tune. Sean Rafferty is one of their best presenters.

I'm not primarily a classical listener but Radio 3 has been my work radio station of choice for many years now.
I can still recall particular programmes from ages ago, hearing Mahler's 5th for the first time, Bill Evans on composer of the week, Benjamin Britten festival from Snape Maltings? (Still not as challenging as choral evensong)
It's the most eclectic national station we have and I really hope they don't mess it up.

Bill Evans on composer of the week

Anyone remember when they had Duke Ellington as Composer of the Week?

Oh, the horrors. There were letters to Radio Times in protest. (Paraphrased from memory... ) "A JAZZ MUSICIAN on Radio 3 ?!?!?! What IS the world coming to ?"

I missed that one unfortunately.
Caught most of the Harlem Renaissance series featuring Wynton Marsalis though, Jazz with extra Black History !

Donald MacLeod is great. He really brings the subject to life.

If asked how to get into classical music I usually reply’ tune your car radio to R3 and classic Fm
Listen to R3 until something so esoteric it is unlistenable comes on and then swap to Classic FM until the adverts and the oleaginous self praise make you nauseous and swap back to R3. Repeat’

Donald Macleod: wonderful, even if I don’t care for the music!

Big changes to the daytime schedule coming next week. Breakfast from 6.30 - 9.30, Essential Classics 9.30 - 13.00. Classical Live 13.00 - 16.00 and Composer of the Week 16.00 - 17.00.

Record Review on Saturday moving to an afternoon slot.

Gosh ! That'll be difficult. Record Review has been, on and off, life permitting, a fixed point of my Saturday morning since 1975. :(

I listened to the Jools Holland programme which looked at how Louis Armstrong was influenced by classical music & thought it was excellent.

I’m only an occasional listener but these sort of shows do appeal.

R3 have shunted 'Music Planet' from 4pm to 5 on Saturdays to 9.30 to 10.30 at night. What's happed to J-Z is anybody's guess. If it ain't broken, don't fix it and I've been listening to these at that time for years. Heartily pissed off !

You’ll know they’ve reached the ultimate degradation when Nadine Dorries gets her own show on R3. I us3 to think it was Classic FM.

advertisement

Back