advertisement

Radikal pitch stability

The Chap

pfm Member
Has anyone noticed problems with pitch stability using the Radikal in particular with classical piano?

Piano is a very good instrument for showing up off-centre pressings. I’ve had a Radikal since they first came out (originally the biscuit tin ‘Majik’ style case, and more recently the fancy schmancy solid one), and for me the few speed stability issues have been down to pressings.

Mick

Last edited:
It’s possible there is a fault. The LED in the on/off switch should glow brightly for a second or two when pressed and then dim. If it does not dim but remains bright, then there is a fault.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies. FYI I don't own a Radikal (yet). Just testing the water based on some experiences posted online.

How come you said “no fault found” for testing the radikal when you don’t even own one?

How come you said “no fault found” for testing the radikal when you don’t even own one?
Some have stated on various platforms that pitch stability can be an issue even when everything is as it should be regarding the Radikal. I was just eliminating this as an option so as to see if this is an inherent problem experienced by others. The consensus seems to be that off centre pressings seem to be more obvious with Radikal. Apologies for my ‘innocent’ deceit.

I’ve heard a Radikal LP12 quite a few times and it has been very stable indeed, no noticeable pitch variation (and I’m highly sensitive to it).

I haven’t read anything like that on the forums I frequent. However, as Sq states above, even the Radikal cannot compensate for non concentric records.

I've heard countless Radikal equipped decks and have used one for the last 5 years or so. During that time I've come across one that did have a problem, and have heard by hearsay of one other that had a speed problem. Linn equipment is normally extremely well engineered and reliable. From what I can gather these are very isolated cases and it is unusual, and certainly in the realms of less than 1% probably a lot less.

The Radikal is not so much about overall pitch stability but a change in the character of the way the way drive is transmitted to the platter. I doubt it would measure much differently to an AC motor equipped deck in terms of pitch stability but the smoother drive of the platter via the belt results in a quieter and more resolving performance. It seems to be tres fashionable to just get hung up on the price but the fact is, it's a significant improvement if you can afford it. My advice would be to have a chat with a good dealer like Cymbiosis in Leicester where you can hear the difference and decide whether it's worthwhile or not. One person's 'significant' is another's 'marginal'. Obviously bring a couple of classical piano albums to assess.

advertisement

Back