advertisement

Quick Quad Question...

spet0114

REMPI Member
Ok folks, here's the situation....

The Quad II amps require 1.5V to achieve full output. The Quad 44 preamp has two outputs, one at 0.5V and the other at 5V.

My gut feeling is to play safe and use the 0.5V output. Is this 'correct'. Has anyone tried this combo with good/bad results?

Some web sources seem to advocate changing the cathode resistors for the EF86's. Again, has anyone tried this?

Cheers!
Adrian

Looks like you have the choice of always running with the volume all the way up, or always running with the volume at 8:00 o'clock.

My old 44 had three outputs.

0.5v - Din
1.5v - phono
5v - phono

Has this one definitely only got two?

<edit>

Just had a look at a manual and it looks only very early 44s had the 1.5 v option.

It's only a voltage divider though so can be changed easily.

It's only a voltage divider though so can be changed easily.

Well, the unit is going to Quad for a service before it goes into action, so I think I'll ask if they can do the mod at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.

Adrian

Well, the unit is going to Quad for a service before it goes into action, so I think I'll ask if they can do the mod at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Yes, just ask them to alter the output on the RCA outs - its just a case of swapping a few resistors.

My Quad 44 has the three outputs, used the middle one into Quad II's. Worked very well.

More recently, I ran the Quad II's direct from the sound card in my PC. It is an old Creative Soundblaster 5.1, this works very well too.

My Quad 44 has the three outputs, used the middle one into Quad II's. Worked very well.

More recently, I ran the Quad II's direct from the sound card in my PC. It is an old Creative Soundblaster 5.1, this works very well too.

Amps of this period have the added bonus of very high input impedance - up around 1 megohm on the QII so they give the matching pre a very easy ride.
Good also with passives if you can get enough volts in.

Looks like you have the choice of always running with the volume all the way up, or always running with the volume at 8:00 o'clock.

I run with the volume anytime of the day..would that be 8 am or pm?? it makes a difference y'know..

Ok, it's official - I'm an idiot....

....so does mine!

(Salutory lesson - look at the back of your actual amp, not the pic that appears in the online scan of the manual)

Oh well....

advertisement

Back