advertisement

Quick NAC102 query

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
When there are no Phono cards in the 102 does that mean 1a is not used or does it make it a Line Level input?

I've a prefix terminating in RCAs rather then DIn and I'd really rather not have to rewire it for DIN

1a being the DIN and 1b being the BNC?

1b won't be connected unless it is fitted with some straight through boards.

1a will only be connected if the link wires on the pcb haven't been switched.

I think...

1a Phono/BNC
1b Din

Thinking about it, and It may annoy the purists but as the Prefix is line level I can get one of those RCA/DIN adaptors for a tenner and go in via 1b. Probably cheaper than boards?

You'll probably have to open it up and see which way the wires are connected to use Din 1, the others will of course be fine though.

If you know that there are no phono boards, just connect any old line level source to the phono inputs you are asking about. Turn the selector nob or button to the corresponding input, and if music comes out there is a straight-through wire and you are OK. If you can't hear anything, you'll have to either fit straight-through boards or solder in a bit of wire. Open it, and if you see the ends of a clipped wire join them back together again with a small blob of solder.
I've not seen inside a 102, only inside a 92 and a 72, but this sounds logical.

Well, thats not quite what I meant. What I am asking is can the 1a Phono Sockets be used as Line level inputs without the need for through boards or do I need to put a board in/put wire links in across the board pin headers 9amounting to the same thing)

I guess it need through boards/phono boards before it an even be used.

fox,

email salisbury: [email protected]

A really nice chap by the name of Steven Hopkins will get back to you by next business day telling you how many hours it will take a muskrat to walk to the moon with a 102 on its back should you need to know. He's a top bloke for sure.

best,

dave

102 owner but turntable-less and apparently owners manual-less now

What I am asking is can the 1a Phono Sockets be used as Line level inputs without the need for through boards or do I need to put a board in/put wire links in across the board pin headers 9amounting to the same thing)

I think you need a board or jumper wires. Installing phono boards on my 102 required cutting a wire on the main board and moving it, which presumably moves the input from 1b to 1a. It that has been done you could jumper the pins/use boards or choose the tuner input and a Mayware din to rca. If not a din to rca on 1b should work.

fox,

email salisbury: [email protected]

A really nice chap by the name of Steven Hopkins will get back to you by next business day telling you how many hours it will take a muskrat to walk to the moon with a 102 on its back should you need to know. He's a top bloke for sure.

best,

dave

102 owner but turntable-less

Steve is indeed incredibly helpful and yes a top bloke, as Dave says give him a call and sort this out.

Dave; howdy, all good in Dixie I trust.

Gaius - Absolutely great other than being on call 24/7 for this week but hey, everybody has to share in the suffering right?;-)

If it helps fox until he gets an email out - I think dan m is right.

Trawling the naim forum and from Adam Meredith:

"With an unmodified 102 you will normally be able to use a "line level" source into the DIN socket closest to the BNC turntable sockets.

When you add phono cards to the 102 you need to alter the connections of two wires on the circuit board from DIN to BNC.

E-mail Naim Customer Service's for the diagram."

dammit...the 102 owner's manual is useless. Email Naim.

From the old 102 owner's manual online:

preamplifier inputs:

Inputs 1a, 2 and 3 are standard high level inputs.

Alternatively, input1 can be converted into a phono input. A simple modification enables a range of plug in boards to be fitted. Connection is then made via the BNC sockets (1b).

Please see your dealer for further details.

Inputs 4, 5 and 6 are standard high level inputs and also have record output facilities, so these should be assigned to your tape recorder, cassette deck or VCR.

I Googled all that, the 102 manual is indeed ambiguous in the extreme. for the cost of a £9 DIN>RCA doodad I'll save myself having to open up the 102 as I don't even own a screwdriver yet, let alone a soldering iron. Thx all.

advertisement

Back