advertisement

Quick fun Q - In Japan - should I pick up a new cartridge while here?

BrendanD

pfm Member
Hi,
I have a Vertere DG-1 TT with its Mageneto cartridge (a slightly modified AT VM540) with an AT ML stylus.
I'm generally happy with it as I like its detailed sound, but it is a bit lacking in bass compared to my digital source.

Kit is Naim 222/250 NC, Atohm GT1 stand mounts and REL subwoofers.

I see the Japanese cartridges are about half the price in the UK making say an Nagoya MP500 £400.
Should I get something here as an upgrade?
What?
(heading away from electronics shops to rural Japan on Sunday).
Tx
B

Buy the MP-500 (if thats what you fancy) and a replacement stylus as they have good price on it too. I go to Japan once every 3 yrs and I always p/u a cartridge there. Make sure you go to a store that offer duty free service and bring your passport.
Yes, planning on Yodobashi.
Opinions on the MP500?

Yodobashi will match price if you find cheaper price .. make sure you check other stores price like Bic camera .. have fun shopping. You can email them a few days ahead and reserve the item. My post pandemic trip last yr found some stores out of inventory and it take a day or 2 to order. BTW you can have them ship to your next stop and Japan have a VERY reliable shipping/courier system.

Exchange rate will be helping - JPY has been tanking for the past year+ so a good time to go shopping : )

If you're heading to Yodabashi in Shinjuku might be worth popping into Audio Union for interesting used bits and bobs.

Have fun in the countryside - I'm jealous. Was hoping to get back there this year but won't be happening now.

The big Yodobashi in Shinjuku or Akhihabara for new carts. If you have time there are still a few great audio stores in Akhihabara too. Audio Union is worth a visit too for used gear. There are a few of these knocking around Tokyo. One is in Shinjuku. Finally seek out Disc Union in Shinjuku or Shibuya and buy some awesome records. I also hear tower records in Shibuya is great once again and stocking floors full of records.

advertisement

Back