advertisement

Quick daft question re phono stage

mancunian

pfm Member
Playing my mm cartridge through my A60's internal phono stage, I can barely move the volume control knob at all before the music is getting quite loud. I don't suppose that's a sign it''s actually an mc phono stage by any chance...? (the quality is excellent by the way).

Supplementary question. My TT2 has captive leads with RCA terminations. I'm using a Milty RCA-Din connector to connect to my A60. Is there a better way of doing this?

Cheers

It could be - it should say on the back if it is MM or MC.

I don't remember the A60 having DIN connection for the turntable though....
Anyway, I suppose it must have. You could cut the RCA plugs off and solder on a DIN plug - that's what I would do (it won't make much difference though, unless your adaptor lead is of extremely poor quality).

It could be - it should say on the back if it is MM or MC.

I don't remember the A60 having DIN connection for the turntable though....

The early A60's did (mine was such a beast) although I'm not sure if there was any way of telling if the amp had an MC or MM sage - apart from the difference in gain obviously.

Lift the lid and look for an MC card.

What's the cartridge?
Usually if you plug a MM into a MC input it will be loud but also very muffled and dull due to the loading.

If it sounds right (other than loud) then either you are using a high output MC into a MC card or just have a very odd cartridge.

The cartridge is a Goldring 1006, but it was a similar issue with an Ortofon, so I don't think it's a cartridge issue.

It definitely sounds right. Very right. Just ridiculously sensitive. I'll have a closer look around, but I won't be lifting the lid in case I cock something up.

Ok then, what are the loudspeakers?
The A60 does cramp the volume control to the low end, and if the loudspeaker sensitivity is high it could go OTT.

I also remember back in the 80s trying to play a Mission high output MC into the A60 and the dealer performed an A&R sanctioned mod to increase the phono gain. Could be your A60 has been modified in this way.

Removing the case is nothing to worry about. Flip the amp over, remove the four little wood screws and lift the cover off. There's nothing attached to it.
Perhaps take a photo.

Thanks for the input Robert. I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Speakers are Proac Tablette 50s, which are fairly sensitive I think.

Any ideas on mating RCA to Din? It's a pain not being able to swap interconnects.

Yes you might find a Mayware, or contact Flashback and they'll supply a suitable short cable.

Tab 50s aren't sensitive enough to exaggerate the problem IMO, so I'd say either you've got a MC card fitted (but with 47k loading) or you just aren't used to the A&R volume control.

Lift the lid on your A60 and have a look around - its all fairly secure in there. The MM stage is in top right hand corner. There was an optional drop-in board available to adjust load for different carts & MC. simple explanation might be that you have such a board, and the current setting doesn't gel with your 1006?

As this was an optional extra, most A60s do not have this module fitted, but it's one possible cause.

A60s were MM as standard I believe, and yes the early ones had din inputs for TT. early is generally better in terms of components and general build in my experience.

If in doubt, contact Robert or Frank (Analogue Addict) as both of these gentlemen have lots of knowledge around the A60.

brilliant amp mind.

advertisement

Back