advertisement

Quick 62/110 CB Question

MVV

pfm Member
Hi,

Can you/is it worth it using a Hi Cap with a 62?

One or two on here say they prefer the 110 to more expensive Naim power amps. Can you expand a little?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use a HiCap with a 62.

Yes, it's worth it.

It's marginal, but I'd prefer a 110 to a 140. Either of those benefit from a replacement power supply like the MiniCAP6 and either can be vastly improved by getting a pair and making them into mono amps.

Leaving aside the 250 and 135, which are substantially different and more expensive, my order of preference would be 160, 180, 110, 140.

malcolm

Hi MVV

I have a 62 and it definitely benefits from a better PSU. Mine is a DIY PSU but based closely on the concept of the Hicap. Many other PSU options are available but alter the Naim presentation of sound. Other options are Avondale Audio and Teddy Cap, there are others but I am less familiar with them.

The 110 has the same basic amp board circuit as all the Naim family of power amps up to the 300 I believe. The higher end amps have regulator boards which many say can change the sound slightly. The 110 for many, is the purest Naim power amp, very well balanced a sweet and detailed presentation but very much a flag carrier for the old Naim rhythm and pace style. The bigger amps basically have more powerful power supplies and bigger transformers which can all impact the subtleties of the sound. Naim equipment is extremely sensitive to power supply variations hence the flourishing market in optimised power supplies and modifications to the power amp caps and possibly even transformers.

I hope this helps a little.

Double post with malcolm, glad we agree :D

Earlier amps, like the 110 and 160 are more likely to have the highly regarded Holden & Fisher transformers which are a major factor in their sound signature,

malcolm

Mark - I had a 62/110 and tried HiCap / Sonic Bliss / Avondale SPX.

the clear winner for me was the SPX, which added some weight and richness to the pacey, dynamic '62 (some criticise the 62 for lacking the refinement of, say, a 32.5, but with the addition of the SPX, my 62 gains substantially in this area, whilst retaining its highly entertaining pace and rhythm).

Well, with my 42.5/180 I added a Hicap 2, very expensive and frankly not worth it.

The 42.5/180 works very well without a PSU.

I have had that 42.5 back to back with RPM's 62 and there is not much too choose between them, the 62 being a tad leaner, the 42.5 a tad warmer with more bounce.

mister6 has it about right with the power amps although I don't know the 110, something I must investigate.

I did also put an Avondale PSU in and didn't like the change of sound, I prefer the Hicap, more bass, boogie and bounce.

Currently I run a 72/Hi/160, the 72 definatley needs the Hicap to get the best from it.

All is subjective of course and there will always be trade offs.

For example the 42.5, which I highly rate has the Naim boogie and bounce but lacks the speed and detail of the 72, pop in the Hicap on the 72 and you get both.

The 250 being regulated adds another dimention; more weight, but slower than the 160 and 180 from my experience but a fine amp all the same.

The Naim game is a merry go round, I hope this gives a little insight but enjoy the ride, also the differences are not that great, it's more about what you like and what suits your rig.

Les is selling some HCap regulators in the trade sales section of ths forum , you could build your own HiCap ..

Now that's a nice plug and very interesting because while I rate the Hicap it's retail is ridiculous. :)

A NAC62 + NAP110 is as sweet as a nut. My advice: Don't mess them about with mods, they are just right as they are. It's a solid gold classic and should be treated as such. In fact, having used most all of the Naim amps over the years, the NAP110 is still my favourite, because it's so good and so sweet for so little money. The Caps seem to last for ages too, which is rather nice.

Just ditch the grey SNAIC and go for a recent black one. That brings an appreciable step up in performance. Enjoy.

I agree stay clear of all the third party so called "better PS" or mods of any kind, JV would have done it better if he could

If you like the CB Naim sound, tonal balance and engagement and your source is way up, the hicap will be an mprovement but the preamp will become next issue in never ending upgrade path, so just enjoy what you have

I agree on the trafo issue, most if not all Naim amplifiers before 1992 or so do have H & F - maybe not the very early ones ?

In fairness I think JV would probbably be doing it differently now were he still here, he did the best he could with the available 70's technology and many of his PS implementations went against the conventional wisdom of the time and succeeded for reasons that only became evident much later.

The HC between 62 and 110 is a significant improvement and JV wouldn't have develolped and retailed the HC had he not believed that to be the case.

a CB one can be had for maybe £300 and is good VFM at that, though I suspect a brand spanking teddycap 3 may well be better.

Not wishing to upset the H&F supporters I also think the Talema hicap sounds marginally better than the H&F one, though its a very very small margin.

advertisement

Back