advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

Just finished my old NCC200 replacement with Qudos and HCR regs. I searched for a long time for a case that looked decent enough and didnt like the larger Modushop ones which I used before. Finally found one on Ebay for 138gbp, the quality of which is far better than Modushop as was the packing and shipment from Singapore.

Initial listen to the new amp I was amazed how different it sounded actually, most notably, the 'blackness' of the background is just oustanding, even putting your ear right up to the speakers you can hear no hiss whatsoever.

Once again, many thanks to Les for helping me and congratulations on another winner!

48158431976_917d1f571c_m.jpg

48158507727_ecb0ca9970_m.jpg
48158431771_d94a06a635_m.jpg
48158508117_80a198accc_m.jpg

Initial listen to the new amp I was amazed how different it sounded actually, most notably, the 'blackness' of the background is.....

Is it an “inky” blackness?, no good if it isn’t “inky”.

Just finished my old NCC200 replacement with Qudos and HCR regs. I searched for a long time for a case that looked decent enough and didnt like the larger Modushop ones which I used before. Finally found one on Ebay for 138gbp, the quality of which is far better than Modushop as was the packing and shipment from Singapore.

Initial listen to the new amp I was amazed how different it sounded actually, most notably, the 'blackness' of the background is just oustanding, even putting your ear right up to the speakers you can hear no hiss whatsoever.

Once again, many thanks to Les for helping me and congratulations on another winner!

48158431976_917d1f571c_m.jpg

48158507727_ecb0ca9970_m.jpg
48158431771_d94a06a635_m.jpg
48158508117_80a198accc_m.jpg
Is that regulated amp then, like a Nap250/135? I've got older Voyagers with NCC200 / HCR front end. Must get them to Avondale towers for updates, 220's (with HCR ) or 300's ??

When I last visited Les for some 220 boards for my home built Voyagers he asked me why I didn’t just convert my existing 200 boards.

Have you seen the NCC200 v1.5 boards that Les has been selling from time to time on ebay?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143205900120

Looks like Qudos boards with quasi complementary output stage.

I wonder if this was to be the latest incarnation of the NCC200 circuit until he decided to try a fully complementary output stage and the NCC220 replaced the 200 as a result, leaving a number of NCC200 v1.5 boards to shift for the diy enthusiasts?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have you seen the NCC200 v1.5 boards that Les has been selling from time to time on ebay?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Avondale-Audio-NCC200-Circuit-Boards-/143205900120?item=143205900120&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=VlMs1GtrdXBVZpfBf2rhooGKxP0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like Qudos boards with quasi complementary output stage.

I wonder if this was to be the latest incarnation of the NCC200 circuit until he decided to try a fully complementary output stage and the NCC220 replaced the 200 as a result, leaving a number of NCC200 v1.5 boards to shift for the diy enthusiasts?

They look far more like NCC200 boards than Qudos boards (NCC220) and several of the important changes in the latter are not incorporated. In fact, the only changes I can see between the original NCC200 and the boards and circuit you linked to are that the bias chain transistor is changed from a 2N5551 to a BD237 with a resistor in its base changed from 2k7 to 3k3 and tracks added to the top of the board to allow the BD 237 to be mounted on the heatsink allowing an increase in the bias to 120 - 140 mA.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You'd need to do some hacking of a few tracks I think - tempted to do it with a spare pair of 200 boards I have here.

I don’t think it’s anything too disastrous James. A couple of cuts and an odd link maybe and the BD237 would need it’s leads extending to the board.
My son has my old NCC200 Voyagers and I’m tempted to mod those boards up to 220 spec rather than replace them.

I’m with Malcolm regarding the NCC200 kits Les has been selling on eBay. I was tempted to buy a pair tbh.

I don’t think it’s anything too disastrous James. A couple of cuts and an odd link maybe and the BD237 would need it’s leads extending to the board.
My son has my old NCC200 Voyagers and I’m tempted to mod those boards up to 220 spec rather than replace them.

I’m with Malcolm regarding the NCC200 kits Les has been selling on eBay. I was tempted to buy a pair tbh.
It's definitely doable for sure, just need to find some time!

I guess the tricky part would be swapping over the tracks on the output transistor.

Pete

What if you were (in any case) going to use a daughter board to use paralleled output transistors?

Just askin' :)

BugBear

That would make it a lot easier, some flying leads to the new board would work.
Or just flying leads to the transistors which would save time designing etching and drilling a board.

Pete

I suppose the thing to do is visually lay one board on top of the other to work out what changes need to be made. I don’t have time to do that atm but maybe James is on the case. I’ll deffo give it a go though when I upgrade my son’s Voyagers.

I was just hunting for a track side image of the 220 board actually and I don't have one. I did do some visual comparisons before building, but now the thing is installed I won't be pulling the boards back out again!

I’m sure Les would email you a track side image? If not I’ll get him to send me a couple of boards when I get home.

advertisement

Back