advertisement

Quantum Electronics 202D

The Finisher

Must have shot a robin
IMG-4551.jpg
IMG-4550.jpg
What a lovely little power amp this is , sweet sounding with grunt , imo a little like my Croft and Exposure in one box .
One leaking cap though 😞

Last edited:
Years ago I owned its big brother the 207DA.

Certainly not a bad power amp but I never thought it was in the same league as Naim or Expo for drive or clarity.

It came with a 102 preamp which is powered by the power amp and the combo was considered one of the "pretenders" to the Naim 42/110 along with the Audio Vois amp and hence could be had quite cheaply used relative to the 42/110.

The 102 preamp wasn't really up to much by modern standards unlike its Naim and Expo competitors.

Quantum was a spin off of Crimson run by Tim Nind so the design is pretty similar to Crimson.

Tim Nind subsequently went on to design TDL speakers ad subsequently went to Harman so it has a fairly decent pedigree.

The res caps went on mine years ago (it was the first amp I ever re-capped) and I replaced them with Elna Cerafines which could be got through Maplins at the time. They worked well but weren't quite a "drop in" replacement.

The original caps were cheap because it was made to a price point as most things were in those days.

Old thread here

Once I’d tested it with a crappy speaker i then swapped it with the dual 4 , barely any difference other than it sounds sweeter than the dual 4 . I love the sound of it .

I used to have 102/202D and separate power supply made by Quantum for the 102 (so that i could use the pre with my Quad ii’s).

i often wish that i hadn’t got rid of it - very doubtful that i have really improved things over the years.

I've owned lots of Quantum gear over the years and am a big fan - the 102/207DA is a superb combination, and the IA150 integrated (which is basically a 102 and a 202 in a single box) is a bargain for the price you can pick one up. My last one cost me £25 IIRC.

I also think the 102 is a very under-rated preamp - the phono stage in particular is superb, and very flexible.

The only downsides are the usual issues of any cottage industry 1980s British stuff - indifferent build quality, boxes and knobs straight out of the RS catalogue and random pops, whistles, thumps and hums!

I’ve had this little gem running since I collected it locally on Saturday morning, one of the yellow/gold caps has leaked at some point though not badly at all but I’ve ordered replacements.
It’s not missed a beat and I bloody love it , knocks the socks off of amps costing far more , I actually prefer it to many of the amps that I still have here ! But it shouldn’t be better , like I said elsewhere to me it’s got the magic of the Croft integrated I had with the grunt of my exposure iv .
Hope you are well Adam .

I loved my 102/202 combo, only moved it on when someone who was buying a pair of quad 57's from me heard them and asked how much I wanted for the amps as they were such a good match, who could refuse that offer ! moved on to a musical fidelity doc thomas shoebox which kept the living room warm :)

Rgds
Stuart

I also had a 102/202 bought new in the early 80's, used with Castle standmounts recommended at the time, (from an audio shop in Stoke on Trent, can't recall the name). This year I picked up mint Crimson pre-monos and have had them upgraded by Brian Powell Audio. They obviously remind me of the Quantums and I'm really enjoying them into inefficient Accuton standmounts. Brian is still active, and according to his web page, still good friends with Tim, so may be able to provide advice/service.

advertisement

Back