advertisement

[WTD] Quality step down transformer

My mains varies between 230v min to 246v often - so a variac I can adjust. And get 220v any day of the week. Not a fixed ratio...

Wow that’s a bit grim, my preference would be for a bucking transformer, variacs aren’t the most efficient designs. If it is causing an issue, (I don’t check my mains enough to be sure that my mains is stable) a sizeable UPS would provide a regulated solution. Pricey though.

I saw 80% quoted as a variac efficiency, so that’s maybe ‘efficient enough’. You certainly wouldn’t be doing any better on a UPS if it’s re-inverting. £420 ish probably isn’t unreasonable either and you’re done..

Is it for a valve amp?

I saw 80% quoted as a variac efficiency, so that’s maybe ‘efficient enough’. You certainly wouldn’t be doing any better on a UPS if it’s re-inverting. £420 ish probably isn’t unreasonable either and you’re done..

Is it for a valve amp?
It’s for a hybrid class A pathos TT , I’m now thinking that surely it’ll have 240v taps on the transformer.

Uk voltage is quoted as 230 nominal bit +\-6% , I wonder if it’s even an issue.. couldn’t say myself.

I solved this by getting a new power supply transformer with a 240 primary for £90 and getting it fitted for half that. If you only want to do it once this is cheaper than a £420 variac and neater in use. Who wants a variac in the lounge?

Well I’ve now heard back from Pathos who said using the 220v in the uk isn’t a problem.
Yes I've heard that one before. On tranny gear it's seldom a problem, but on valves they run very hot and cook things. Eventually it will cook your transformer and then you'll need a new one. Ask me how I know.

I has been in use for many years in the uk . When I’m back from our Hols I’ll check the taps on the transformers , I can’t imagine them using different trannies for different voltages

advertisement

Back