advertisement

Quality Digital Compact, Reccomendations, Options?

Hi all, im considering a small digital compact camera that i can carry about with me. I dont need a really long zoom, equivalent 35mm-105mm is fine. Im considering this because it has a optical view finder (i dont like looking at the LCD screen to take a picture, it just seems wrong)

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...tal_Camera/IXUS/Digital_IXUS_980_IS/index.asp
00582_canon-digital-ixus-980-is.jpg

What other choices do i have? does anybody have any recommendations? im not limited by price, but it being small is important, thanks, Jon.

I bought a Ricoh GRD last year, and then Panasonic come out with the LX3!

Bastards.

Very nice samples on DPReview, somewhat awesome for the size.

I know holding the camera up to the face without a viewfinder looks daft but at least it steadies the thing, £200 viewfinder, what a bargain ;)

The integral viewfinders on todays compacts are useless anyway so omitting it and having an external as an extra is no biggy IME, I had an IXUS last year which was a fine camera for what it was but putting a viewfinder in the body is purely cosmetic as it simply cannot be seen through without some sort of bionic eye :D

Muz, you can also use the smaller of the two Ricoh viewfinders for the GRD as the 24mm frame lines are about the same.

cheers
Cliff

Im just downloading a few images taken with LX3, from the Dp review site, they look excellent. I'll try and have a look at a LX3 in the flesh next week.

advertisement

Back