advertisement

Quadrophenia

Natara

pfm Member
I have owned a few different copies on record, cassette and cd, the vinyl version I have now which is a Trax reissue from a couple of years ago is terrible and the streamed version that is on both Spotify and Tidal is any better. Does anybody know of a decent copy on vinyl or download (I don't own a CDP) that is worth getting hold of. Quadrophenia is one of my favourite records and I remember the sound of Kieth Moons drums on my parents old Trax copy being incredibly loud but not so on the versions I have now I have tried a couple of 70's reissues but its the same . Help!!!

Have only ever owned or heard an original first press. Guess you'll have to dig deep!

I had a Trax version from the early 80s which sounded pretty good.
Didn't much care for it, so sold it a while back.

Owned the B2B re-issue of a few years back & just couldn't take to it. Eventually sold it & replaced with a Classic Records 140g which was quite reasonably prced (£20ish) and sounds fantastic.

Track UK Orig, Classic Records 2007 vinyl (best I've heard it) or the recent SHM CD would be my pick. If you want decent (altough not as good) for not much outlay - original Polydor West German CD.

My advice would be to avoid anything that has been remixed or remastered with Townsend's involvement! The man, whilst a genius in many respects is deaf as a post and I have a feeling he can't hear anything until it is bouncing in the red! Original UK vinyl is fine, as IMHO are the original issue West German/Japanese/UK Polydor CDs (fat-cases for Tommy & Quadrophenia). These seem fairly close to being flat-transfers so haven't been futzed around with to remove tape hiss or hyped-up to sound good on ear buds or boom boxes. They don't have the care and attention in mastering of original UK vinyl, but no awful decisions have been made (which is a lot more than one can say about the remixes/remasters!).

Buy this copy I have one it is far better sounding than other copies, for £25 its a steal.

Sadly not a steal... This is from the seller's description:

Record 2 only. 1st page of booklet has slight tear at staples otherwise clean.

So... How in the hills of Sam can this be described as near mint...?!

For sale: original UK solid blue triangle Dark Side Of The Moon. Mint. £25 (note: one sticker only. Record, sleeve, posters and the other sticker missing)....

Sadly not a steal... This is from the seller's description:

Record 2 only. 1st page of booklet has slight tear at staples otherwise clean.

So... How in the hills of Sam can this be described as near mint...?!

It still seems great value at £25 despite the incorrect grading. Many of these are a bit dodgy around the staples.

My advice would be to avoid anything that has been remixed or remastered with Townsend's involvement! The man, whilst a genius in many respects is deaf as a post and I have a feeling he can't hear anything until it is bouncing in the red! Original UK vinyl is fine, as IMHO are the original issue West German/Japanese/UK Polydor CDs (fat-cases for Tommy & Quadrophenia). These seem fairly close to being flat-transfers so haven't been futzed around with to remove tape hiss or hyped-up to sound good on ear buds or boom boxes. They don't have the care and attention in mastering of original UK vinyl, but no awful decisions have been made (which is a lot more than one can say about the remixes/remasters!).

Good point about Townsend I'll track down one of the cd's mentioned after selling on my original Vinyl pressing.

Thanks for all the help and replies looks like discogs is the place to go and thanks Tony L and your right I think Townsend must have lost his hearing in the late 70's because he hasn't written a descent song since. Like the Stones The Who had a fantastic period early to mid seventies and they have been flogging dead horses ever since. How could the same man who wrote Quadrophenia have wrote You Better You Bet? Answer: He's absolutely tone deaf!!

FWIW I bought a copy of the Trax 2LP set back in the day. Later on I got the standard original CD version, and later on the 'Delux' 2CD set.

I recall often listening to the LPs via Koss Pro 4AAA phones with the bass wound up. 8-]

I have been dissapointed by the CD versions. Also puzzled by the inconsistencies of the 'Delux' releases. Tommy got SACD and extras. Quadrophenia just got the original tracks as CD. Give that I prefer Quadrophenia this is a shame. Some of the Delux reissues got better treatment than others. Why?

FWIW I bought a copy of the Trax 2LP set back in the day. Later on I got the standard original CD version, and later on the 'Delux' 2CD set.

I have been dissapointed by the CD versions. Also puzzled by the inconsistencies of the 'Delux' releases. Tommy got SACD and extras. Quadrophenia just got the original tracks as CD. Give that I prefer Quadrophenia this is a shame. Some of the Delux reissues got better treatment than others. Why?

Quadrophenia got an MFSL release, and ... wasn't that Deluxe Edition a remixed version?

And wasn't the original label Track, not 'Trax'?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back