advertisement

Quad34/306

Tony,

Having liked the Quads for a while now perhaps another 306 would be a good move to allow mono block operation?

I used to use two (but for active use) to good effect.

Certainly an easy thing to try, assuming both are in similar fettle.

I think also they could be bridged if your speakers are 15 ohms (ie not 8 ohms as the amps won't like 4 ohms).

Another picture for those who like the looks ...

PaKiV.jpg

Tony,

Having liked the Quads for a while now perhaps another 306 would be a good move to allow mono block operation?

I used to use two (but for active use) to good effect.

Certainly an easy thing to try, assuming both are in similar fettle.

I think also they could be bridged if your speakers are 15 ohms (ie not 8 ohms as the amps won't like 4 ohms).

One option would be to disable one channel by removing its rectifier, giving the entire 200 or so VA of the toroid to the remaining channel and bumping its capacitor bank to 10,000 or 15,000uf. You could then back off the current limiting a tad to allow more power into 4 Ohms, and better long term drive at high levels.

One channel then gets access to a larger PSU and more heat sink.
This could deliver a Quad power amp where the output truly doubles from 8 to 4 ohms.

Some of the more recent 306-sized Quad power amps were / are available as monos IIRC.

PS I'm not certain I'd get any benefit as my speakers are so efficient I doubt I ever get out of the class-A zone of the current dumper. The 149s might like it though. By saying that the second hand value of 2x 306 is getting on for a mint 909...

Some of the more recent 306-sized Quad power amps were / are available as monos IIRC.

PS I'm not certain I'd get any benefit as my speakers are so efficient I doubt I ever get out of the class-A zone of the current dumper. The 149s might like it though. By saying that the second hand value of 2x 306 is getting on for a mint 909...

I wouldn't bother unless you need more than 70w into 4 ohms, or run the amp flat out for hours on end.

I only posted the above as a feasible mod if you wanted an amp able to push 100w into 4 ohms, and for those who like to fiddle and experiment :)

FWIW I think the 306 is best left as a clean, honest, medium power stereo amplifier in a lovely small package.

Oh I agree, wouldn't mod internally (other than a standard recap if its not been done), its such a great unit as is.

Nice Alan.
One of the last 34s with the orange Quad logo :)

I had an FM4 in recently with an orange display so I think these are quite rare and were on the cusp of the introduction of the 66 series (with orange displays of course).

Could I could connect a phono/turntable, CD player, DAC and tuner to a Quad 34?

If I can, how would it be done?

Jack

Could I could connect a phono/turntable, CD player, DAC and tuner to a Quad 34?

If I can, how would it be done?

Yes, you have a phono input and three line-level inputs. With a little light tweaking (see Rob!) the onboard phono stage is surprisingly good, better than some expensive stand-alone ones IMO. The main issue with the 34 is it has a very high quality stepped attenuator volume knob with just 21 'steps', so it's important to get the preamp level-matched to the power amp and speakers you are using otherwise you can end up with too much / too little output and even clipping. Again something that can be done easily whilst servicing.

Yes, you have a phono input and three line-level inputs. With a little light tweaking (see Rob!) the onboard phono stage is surprisingly good, better than some expensive stand-alone ones IMO. The main issue with the 34 is it has a very high quality stepped attenuator volume knob with just 21 'steps', so it's important to get the preamp level-matched to the power amp and speakers you are using otherwise you can end up with too much / too little output and even clipping. Again something that can be done easily whilst servicing.

That's great, thanks for letting me know, Tony. I think I might have to buy one.

Jack

Yes, you have a phono input and three line-level inputs. With a little light tweaking (see Rob!) the onboard phono stage is surprisingly good, better than some expensive stand-alone ones IMO.

I assume this also applies to the Quad 44, Tony? I am trying to make up my mind which model to go for.

Jack

I assume this also applies to the Quad 44, Tony? I am trying to make up my mind which model to go for.

Jack

The 44 has five modular inputs. As standard that's MM - Tuner - CD/Aux - Tape - Tape. However you can configure the unit to have any combination, so for example you could run 5 phono inputs if you fill the slots with phono cards. The tape inputs are of course just used as line inputs in the vast majority of cases today.

The phono MM input has switchable gain and capacitance which is very useful.
A range of three MC cards were produced to cover different sensitivities.

Internally the 34 and 44 share most circuit architecture.

The 44 has five modular inputs. As standard that's MM - Tuner - CD/Aux - Tape - Tape. However you can configure the unit to have any combination, so for example you could run 5 phono inputs if you fill the slots with phono cards. The tape inputs are of course just used as line inputs in the vast majority of cases today.

The phono MM input has switchable gain and capacitance which is very useful.
A range of three MC cards were produced to cover different sensitivities.

Internally the 34 and 44 share most circuit architecture.

Great, thanks for the info, Robert.

Jack

Guys been offered these @ £150 for the Pre & Power but i have not clue of there condition & working order is it worth a punt would they be easy to shift if not working and would i make my money back? I have a 33 - 303 & FM 3 what are the similarities and is it worth it or are they the same?

I have a little stack of Quad 34/FM4/306 in my office system, playing through Avalon NP2.0 speakers. It's always sounded respectable, fed by a laptop running JRiver 17 through to a Cambridge DacMagic 100 via USB. Respectable, but a little 'polite'. I put it down to the Quad 'pipe and slippers' reputation.

Recently I bought a HiFace2 USB/SPDIF converter from the classifieds, and now use this to feed digits to the DacMagic 100, with ASIO streaming selected in JRiver. The whole system has come to life in a way that has really surprised me; and the Quads now show themselves to be sweet, musical, expressive and muscular when needed. I had no idea that they were this good when I bought them, nor when I had them serviced by IAG.

So, I now realise that the Quad 34 and 306 are little gems. That they are small and look so elegant is an added bonus. The FM4 isn't bad, either.

So, I now realise that the Quad 34 and 306 are little gems. That they are small and look so elegant is an added bonus. The FM4 isn't bad, either.

The FM4 is a sweet little tuner and tops of a 34/306 stack nicely.
Not up to the best Japanese tuner standards but the quality of FM broadcast in the uk today makes that largely moot.

Just picked up a mint 34 to go with my 306.

I'd like to compare my Rega phono stage to the in built one - can I plug the Rega into the tape input? The other 2 inputs are already in use.

advertisement

Back