advertisement

Quad system 99.

Nigelk

My remote has stopped working with my quad 99 system ...changed batteries still not working.
Any ideas please ?
Or can l get a replacement ?
Thanks

Check that the battery connections are not corroded.

Replacements used to be readily available on the web, if all else fails try Quad.

Which remote unit do you have? There are screws holding the case together on my system controller, not on the standalone remote for the CDP.

Before you try taking it apart point it at a camera phone and press some buttons, you should get maximum brightness splurge on the picture - this proves you have IR output from the remote and makes it more likely that the fault is in the preamp receiver.

Nothing happens when l point it at my camera when pressing the buttons (IR no brightness)
Many thanks for your help.

Yes definitely. I've tried so many times . Not working l need to get a replacement nothing on eBay though. Will see if Quad have a replacement or an alternative.
The controller l have came with a package of Quad 99 equipment all purchased from new with a 909 amp.. This was my father's equipment.
I have taken ownership and have linked it to my hydraulic transcription turntable.

Replacements used to be readily available on the web, if all else fails try Quad.

Quad are excellent at replacing old kit. Ring the service department & I am sure they will have one on its way to you quickly. I replaced my 99 system remote a few years ago. There are no screws to take it apart & there is no seriel number on the outside but the Quad staff will know which one it is. It controls all 99 kit, i.e. CD player, tuner & pre-amp. I have had the full system for many years but have a pair of 99 mono power amps rather than the more popular 909 power amp. The 99 mono amps are rated higher than the 909 but never took off with the public.

I do not use the CD player as I have a silver Oppo 105 universal player which goes very nicely with the Quad kit but have kept the 99 CD player so that I have the full system. However if you use the CD player independently of the rest of the 99 system, you need the separate CD remote control. You can of course run the 99 system using the buttons on the equipment. If you do not have the 99 system manuel, I suggest you get one from Quad.

You could also ask for a copy of the volume scale which varies from the bottom through to the top. It starts with 5db intervals & changes at higher volumes to 4db, 3db, 2db & 1db. It also shows the scales for all 3 gain settings, 775mV, 300mV & 100mV. They used to show these in the 44 pre-amp, but not given in the 99 manual. If the staff do not know where to get it ask them to refer to Rob Flain, the service manager.

The Quad telephone number used to be 01480 452561, but it may have changed since I last contacted them.

Last edited:
Barry.
Many thanks for your detailed email l will contact Quad and let you know how l get on.
Kind regards.

Barry .
Quad have one and it's on order .
Setting my cartridge is going to be the next challenge for me. Do you know where l can get information about doing this procedure ?
Thanks for your help and time .
Kevin

Setting my cartridge is going to be the next challenge for me. Do you know where l can get information about doing this procedure ?
Kevin

Do you mean a turntable cartridge? Not an area where I have any expertise (I leave it to the dealer) but plenty of folk on here who can help you.

advertisement

Back