advertisement

Quad Revela 1…users opinions?

naka

pfm Member
These new Quad Revela 1 are one of the most interesting speakers released recently and certainly on my “to check out” list, but apart from a not-so-reveling review on Hi-Fi News (using stands with the wrong height!!) I haven’t catch any other evaluation of the… until this:

Wow! Tarun’s reviews and analysis are always spot-on and this certainly made me even more enthusiastic about the Revela 1.
But, I wonder if there any users feedback?

QuadRevela1SpeakersHighGlossWalnutonQUADRevelaStandsFront.jpg

(Note: the stands are beautiful and certainly very well made… but pricey.)

These new Quad Revela 1 are one of the most interesting speakers released recently
Of all the Chinese made "Quad" branded loudspeakers I've heard, None - repeat, None of them did sound like a Quad product.
Must say I dislike the look of these pictured above
Maybe for next Star Wars movie.

Of all the Chinese made "Quad" branded loudspeakers I've heard, None - repeat, None of them did sound like a Quad product.
Must say I dislike the look of these pictured above
Maybe for next Star Wars movie.

I've no objection to them being made in China, and I've never heard them, only seen/read reviews...but I've got to agree about the appearance.

I think they look awful. Which must be a first for Quad. :(

These new Quad Revela 1 are one of the most interesting speakers released recently and certainly on my “to check out” list, but apart from a not-so-reveling review on Hi-Fi News (using stands with the wrong height!!) I haven’t catch any other evaluation of the… until this:

Wow! Tarun’s reviews and analysis are always spot-on and this certainly made me even more enthusiastic about the Revela 1.
But, I wonder if there any users feedback?

QuadRevela1SpeakersHighGlossWalnutonQUADRevelaStandsFront.jpg

(Note: the stands are beautiful and certainly very well made… but pricey.)
He really rates his 1sc speakers as a reference. Are they really that good?

As for the “made in china” concerns I truly believe that IAG just nailed it from the start. I have and occasionally use (*) the Quad 11L which I believe to be the brand’s first speaker made in China, and the sound and build quality is simply stunning.
That model was release around 2003 and still is like new, so no worries from my part, at least about the quality of today’s Quad or Wharfedale Speakers.
It is the sound signature that I am tried to understand if it right for my taste and room acoustics…

(*) - coincidentally I am listening to them right now, with the Belles Soioist 1 integrated amp and REL Stampede subwoofer.

no worries from my part, at least about the quality of today’s Quad or Wharfedale Speakers.
I remember them 11L as being Spendor designed ?

As for Wharfedale "quality, they seem to have truly many editions from few $ to rather high prices.
I remember original Diamonds as being a great loudspeaker.
Of their current range, none has impressed me the slightest.

I remember them 11L as being Spendor designed ?

As for Wharfedale "quality, they seem to have truly many editions from few $ to rather high prices.
I remember original Diamonds as being a great loudspeaker.
Of their current range, none has impressed me the slightest.
Yes, the 77-11 was bui by Spendor and was part of the 77 series, which I also had the “carbon” series integrated amp.
That was before the IAG.

As for the “made in china” concerns I truly believe that IAG just nailed it from the start. I have and occasionally use (*) the Quad 11L which I believe to be the brand’s first speaker made in China, and the sound and build quality is simply stunning.
That model was release around 2003 and still is like new, so no worries from my part, at least about the quality of today’s Quad or Wharfedale Speakers.
It is the sound signature that I am tried to understand if it right for my taste and room acoustics…

(*) - coincidentally I am listening to them right now, with the Belles Soioist 1 integrated amp and REL Stampede subwoofer.
To their credit, IAG are manufacturing some things in the UK though unfortunately not Quad. I think it does matter where something is made. I have a mixture of components and I feel less connection to the stuff where I don’t know who designed it or who made it.

Yes, the 77-11 was bui by Spendor and was part of the 77 series, which I also had the “carbon” series integrated amp.
That was before the IAG.
It was 77-10, I think. It was wonderful. I heard it a few times and a ‘speaker I regret not buying when they dumped them through Richers for £299.

He really rates his 1sc speakers as a reference. Are they really that good?
They're a great design from ProAc, with a cult-like following.

Tarun seems to be very attached to them, and is honest about their sound, which is probably a good thing for a speaker reviewer (as they need a reference).

I think it does matter where something is made. I have a mixture of components and I feel less connection to the stuff where I don’t know who designed it or who made it.
I subscribe that entirely.
In this case, I feel that IAG is very serious about their stuff… although some shared components make some of their brands / models feel less “special”. Like a VW, has parts from Skoda or Seat…
It was 77-10, I think. It was wonderful. I heard it a few times and a ‘speaker I regret not buying when they dumped them through Richers for £299.
You’re right, it was the 77-11. It was so good that the new owners wanted to make the 11L and 12L… and then some floorstaders, centre channel, subwoofer…

Forgive my ignorance but is that a good thing or a bad thing?
As a gross generalization, simpler is better (see Peter Walker’s famous comment that “the perfect amplifier is a straight wire with gain” and the basic notion that an audio component should neither add nor subtract from the original signal.) A speaker crossover by definition splits and attenuates certain frequencies of the incoming signal, but the more it manipulates the signal the greater the chance it can introduce unwanted side effects (e.g., phasing issues, lower sensitivity, etc.) as well.

As a gross generalization, simpler is better (see Peter Walker’s famous comment that “the perfect amplifier is a straight wire with gain” and the basic notion that an audio component should neither add nor subtract from the original signal.) A speaker crossover by definition splits and attenuates certain frequencies of the incoming signal, but the more it manipulates the signal the greater the chance it can introduce unwanted side effects (e.g., phasing issues, lower sensitivity, etc.) as well.
Helpful if slightly offputting as I am demoing them (and others) today. In my world simple is good :)

Well, spent a bit of time with these today and whilst they are undoubtedly capable I just couldn't take to them at all. I may have been conditioned with the fact that I heard ProAc D2r's immediately before them but I found that the Quads simply didn't have the same level of transparency than the ProAcs. They are also a lot bigger (chunkier would be more accurate) than I had imagined.

I will go back for a further demo of the ProAcs and also the astonishingly good Neat Mystique Classics that I sneaked a listen to.

advertisement

Back