advertisement

Quad QSP

weitn

I am planning to buy a new Quad QSP. I heard of Quad 606 several times with Harbeth speakers and I like it very much. The nearest Quad dealer is very far away (7 hours away). I am not going there anytime soon.

I read about Quad having issue with loud pop sound through the speakers when pressing standby to ON and when switching off directly from wall socket. Have Quad resolved this issue? Appreciate it if any Quad QSP owner could comment/reply. Does this issue happens to your Quad QSP unit?

The issue was posted in this thread in 2012. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-109780.html

Lots of amps go pop at switch on, it isn't a problem that will cause damage.

Pete

Lots of amps go pop at switch on, it isn't a problem that will cause damage.

Pete

I agree - don't worry about it - you get some people whose life ends at the sound of a faint pop, but my life's too short to worry about such people.

If you turn it on and off as recommended in the instructions, it doesn't make a noise.

Hi hifi_dave, never thought to see you here. Great. Do you mind brieftly explain the recommended instructions?

With my current Creek Destiny 2 integrated amplifier, I always turn off the volume first. Then switch to standby mode by pressing the standby button. Then turn off the On/Off switch at the back of the amplifier. Then turn off the switch at the wall socket. Then proceed to turn off my CD player. This way, I don't get any pop from the speakers.

Hi hifi_dave, never thought to see you here. Great. Do you mind brieftly explain the recommended instructions?

With my current Creek Destiny 2 integrated amplifier, I always turn off the volume first. Then switch to standby mode by pressing the standby button. Then turn off the On/Off switch at the back of the amplifier. Then turn off the switch at the wall socket. Then proceed to turn off my CD player. This way, I don't get any pop from the speakers.

Come to think about it. I never heard any pop before when using the Creek Destiny 2 amp. I just tried skipping all the steps I listed above and turn off the amp at the wall socket while the amp is running. The amp turned off without any pop.

Similar procedure with the QSP - switch on via the rear power switch then operate the standby button on the front. To switch off you reverse the procedure.

Quad released an official fix for this issue.
It consists of two finger shaped objects which are inserted into the ears when turning the amps on/off.

Suitably proportioned carrots work too ;)

It's nothing to worry about.

I am planning to buy a new Quad QSP. I heard of Quad 606 several times with Harbeth speakers and I like it very much. The nearest Quad dealer is very far away (7 hours away). I am not going there anytime soon.

I read about Quad having issue with loud pop sound through the speakers when pressing standby to ON and when switching off directly from wall socket. Have Quad resolved this issue? Appreciate it if any Quad QSP owner could comment/reply. Does this issue happens to your Quad QSP unit?

The issue was posted in this thread in 2012. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-109780.html

I recommend that you contact Rob Service Manager at IAG, Although you will probably be all right provided you do not switch the amp on or off directly from the wall socket without doing what Hi-Fi Dave says, I find that unneccesary with properly designed amplifiers The amp sounds good. You can read about my full experience on Amazon also the hum problem I encountered with the Platinum.

Thank you for the instructions. Good enough for me. I can do that.

It can be quite inconvenient switching mains off from a rear mounted amplifier power switch , which is one reason why I always switch off from the wall socket. Never been able to find out if Quad have eliminated this design fault to save money on the QSP or cured the hum problem I encountered with the Platinum which I put down to very poor implementation of Class 2 insulation.

I agree - don't worry about it - you get some people whose life ends at the sound of a faint pop, but my life's too short to worry about such people.

Nonsense you above all people should know better, pop problem does not occur on properly well designed amplifiers. furthermore the QSP pop is not faint.

Nonsense you above all people should know better, pop problem does not occur on properly well designed amplifiers. furthermore the QSP pop is not faint.

Please allow me to speak for myself - I really, really really, REALLY don't care about a pop on power up or Power down - so long as its not a speaker damaging event.

I'd rather live with the pop then degrade the sound guilty for a listening session - Relays can effect the sound quality, especially as there contacts become worn with age.

Different people have different requirements - mine is for the last ounce in audio quality, to that end I can live with a pop or two...

Please allow me to speak for myself - I really, really really, REALLY don't care about a pop on power up or Power down - so long as its not a speaker damaging event.

I'd rather live with the pop then degrade the sound guilty for a listening session - Relays can effect the sound quality, especially as there contacts become worn with age.

Different people have different requirements - mine is for the last ounce in audio quality, to that end I can live with a pop or two...

I do not find the relays in both my 18 year old stereo amp and my EISA award Sony STR-DA 5400ES AVR degrade sound quality. I do not want to hear any pops or caps discharge through my speakers due to poor design to save money,you have previously stated that amps without AC detect can not shut down in a controlled civilised manner ?

I do not find the relays in both my 18 year old stereo amp and my EISA award Sony STR-DA 5400ES AVR degrade sound quality.

Thats a really weak statement - have you heard you unit without them? so how can you say? Or maybe you remember how your amplifier originally sounded 18 years ago - and can assure us that its not degraded since... Amazing! I certainly couldn't...

Also, I doubt the "EISA award Sony STR-DA 5400ES AVR" really classifies as HiFi and that it has the quality to worry about possible degradation from Relay contacts.

As a kind recommendation please stay away from any of my designs as we have different expectations and requirements - I have no wish to deal such petty issues (I did not directly work on the Quad design).

Thats a really weak statement - have you heard you unit without them? so how can you say? Or maybe you remember how your amplifier originally sounded 18 years ago - and can assure us that its not degraded since... Amazing! I certainly couldn't...

Also, I doubt the "EISA award Sony STR-DA 5400ES AVR" really classifies as HiFi and that it has the quality to worry about possible degradation from Relay contacts.

As a kind recommendation please stay away from any of my designs as we have different expectations and requirements - I have no wish to deal such petty issues (I did not directly work on the Quad design).

contradictory Nonsense I never claimed you worked directly on the Quad QSP amplifier. As for the Sony STR-DA 5400ES AVR HFN & RR describes it as a fabulously versatile multichannel AV receiver & with XA5400 ES player the combo received a high SQ rating of 85% few components always at far more expensive prices receive higher ratings. As for my old amplifier if I could find a better sounding one I would buy it, I prefer it to the expensive Devialet 170. or IMO the rubbish new Sony TA-1AES despite its rave reviews.

advertisement

Back