advertisement

QUAD original power cable question

xtal_recorder

Hi all,
I need to add a plug to the mains cable that came with the QUAD 33.

It has a smooth cable and one with grooves. I can't seem to find which is which (live / neutral).

Any help appreciated!

Thank you.

Sorry it's the end which you will plug into the wall socket. I have the original 3-pin cable which plugs into the 33 but with bare wire ends.

Looking at the front of the Bulgin, wires coming out of the back, I believe that the left pin is live. Best get an multimeter to check.

It doesn’t matter. It’s AC.
Many people don’t get what electricity is! Nothing obscure or magical here.
Remember that we continental people use two pin plugs that are obviously reversible…

It doesn’t matter. It’s AC.
Many people don’t get what electricity is! Nothing obscure or magical here.
Remember that we continental people use two pin plugs that are obviously reversible…
The 33 is fused, right? Best to have the live wire connected to this, I'd have thought.

It does matter, if the fuse is in the neutral leg should it blow there will still be a live feed to the equipment despite the fact that it will appear dead. This is why the fuse should always be in the live side of the supply.

It doesn`t affect normal operation of course but it`s poor practice to fuse the neutral.

Best to meter through from the fuse to the bare ends I would have thought., to eliminate guesswork.

When a fuse in the neutral is gone the equipment looks dead and someone touching the "dead" equipment may become so.

It doesn’t work like that fortunately. Never mind Barry. After all, I am just an obscure electrician 😌

Will do. I thought there was a rule as to which cable the ridged one was but I can't seem to find any info.
You need the Quad manual.

The 3-core power from the mains goes to the 33.
The 2-core power output from the 33 feeds the power amp. There should be a 2-prong flat-blade plug on the end of the cable you show in order to fit into the 33.
The power amp is earthed via the interconnect.

As Jowcol says the cable pictured looks like the 2 core used from the 33 to the 303 or FM3. The mains cable powering the 33 should be 3 core. If you don't have a 3 core one I could send one to you.

As Jowcol says the cable pictured looks like the 2 core used from the 33 to the 303 or FM3. The mains cable powering the 33 should be 3 core. If you don't have a 3 core one I could send one to you.

Very kind thank you, @NeilK it's off for service now anyway to amplabs...

All the best

advertisement

Back