advertisement

Quad II amp / speaker match

Quad IIs + Paraline, great. I wonder if anyone can remember them!

Are you referring to Rex Baldock's Paralines? If so, I might be able to hunt up a drawing, provided that rvw67 is handy with a chain saw, and definitely will built them.

I used mine with Tannoy Etons and they sounded typically "vintage" which was exactly what I was looking for (and still am).

Are you referring to Rex Baldock's Paralines? If so, I might be able to hunt up a drawing, provided that rvw67 is handy with a chain saw, and definitely will built them.

Absolutely, the recommended units were the 8" Elac 8N148/ 8N185 and the Lowther PM6. I could not afford PM6 so used the Elacs with Celestion HF1300 tweeters. I remember a home made mono 1 Watt amplifier feeding both Paralines could make quite a lot of very nice music. Later I used them with Quad II/22. The drawings would be interesting. I'm afraid that my copy of HFN with the paralines in went years ago.

Hi,

I had a pair of fully serviced Quad II's with the Quad QC24 valve pre amp.

I used a pair of Shahinian Arc's.

I had problems with the heat from the valves in my HiFi room, discussed in a thread on here way back. A friend was up listening to them and made me an offer on them I could not refuse.

If you want to hear what a set of Quad II's can really do you own it to yourself to demo them with Arc's.

Cheers

John

Paraline yes - easy to make - the designer whose name I sadly forget also liked that original needeless optical cartridge that looked like a small billiard ball ....

Inventive stuff. paraline was a reflective, omni sound with simple TL design ..... system was in his shed in the garden as I recall from a very distant mag article in the 70's

Absolutely, the recommended units were the 8" Elac 8N148/ 8N185 and the Lowther PM6. I could not afford PM6 so used the Elacs with Celestion HF1300 tweeters. I remember a home made mono 1 Watt amplifier feeding both Paralines could make quite a lot of very nice music. Later I used them with Quad II/22. The drawings would be interesting. I'm afraid that my copy of HFN with the paralines in went years ago.

Before I spend hours in the attic prising open rusty hinges on steel cupboards and rummaging through hundreds of volumes of musty, obsolete hi fi mags I need to know that someone with a chainsaw will absolutely certainly cut down a tree and build these Paralines. If I can't find it in the attic I will have to go down to the wine cellar in the basement and, in semi darkness, risk my life running between the mice to find the Paraline plans inbetween the ageing wines: so you understand why I am not going to embark upon this lark just to satisfy some transitory whim.

advertisement

Back