advertisement

Quad II amp / speaker match

rvw67

pfm Member
I was curious to know what have owners of quad II amps found to be good match of speakers for these amps ( excluding esl 57) can be bookshelf or floorstanders. I currently use a pair of Castle Durham 3 with fine results but will probably looking for something else to try in the near future.
Thanks!

Monitor Audio 352s (I think with the gold tweeter) sounded very good to my ears with Quad IIs in the mid-90's.

Richard

Over the years up to right now, I have used Quad 11's with all sorts of speakers with good results. Of course, with 12 watts at your disposal, not everything is a match made in Heaven but you can get away with murder if you don't want to head bang.

I had DSJR over a couple of weeks ago and we used Quad's with the Harbeth M40.1 and it sounded good. Something efficient like Tannoy DC's will be a very good match and you won't need to compromise on your volume levels.

They are practical amps.

Over the years up to right now, I have used Quad 11's with all sorts of speakers with good results. Of course, with 12 watts at your disposal, not everything is a match made in Heaven but you can get away with murder if you don't want to head bang.

I had DSJR over a couple of weeks ago and we used Quad's with the Harbeth M40.1 and it sounded good. Something efficient like Tannoy DC's will be a very good match and you won't need to compromise on your volume levels.

They are practical amps.

How sensitive? Need for active pre?

rvw67, just as a matter of interest, why do you exclude the 'speakers that the amps were made to drive, the ESL57s?

" I currently use a pair of Castle Durham 3 with fine results..."

If these are speakers based on the Voigt quarter wave pipe patent (I seem to remember that Castle did sometimes use Voigt's design) then I think, given that you are happy with them, you might try to get another Castle design- possibly a better one or one that uses better drivers. Alternatively, have you thought about adding a subwoofer instead of replacing your fine results?

I am wary of recommendations. I have come to the firm view that the best person to say what is best when it comes to the sound of hi fi is YOU. Therefore I would say "try to hear before choosing alternatives or additions".

rvw67, just as a matter of interest, why do you exclude the 'speakers that the amps were made to drive, the ESL57s?

they only reason I exclude them is due to space at the moment and I have 3 small children, though they are on my wish list in the next few years.
Thanks, John

I have thought about trying to obtain a pair of castle floorstanders, though they only thing that concerns me now is that Castle is not in business anymore. They only way to get replacement part is from a gentleman in the Yorkshire area and I am across the pond in NY

a while back I thought I had a problem with the tweeter in one of my speakers and the only one to have replacement tweeters was this gentleman in yorkshire.I was going to purchase one from him though he didnt take credit cards and the amont of bank fees I would have to have paid for money transfer was have the price of the tweeter(just not economical), though I didn't need to do that I am just weary if I purchase another pair of Castle and I need a replacement part, though I love the quality and craftsmanship of there speakers!

pfm has a few gentlemen in Yorkshire on it - if you needed a tweeter from t'yorks I'm sure one of us could sort it out for you.

thanks that's good to know if there is a future need future need! , though I lucked out and fixed my tweeter.
regards, John

advertisement

Back