advertisement

Quad Fm3 question

last thing to try, if you have a mains extension lead, is to take the quad & wahtever else you need , like headphones up into teh loft, and 'swing' the aerial direction looking for strongest-signal / best -stereo...

Aha yes good idea, hadn't thought of this either (told you i was thick).

The Aerial's in loft above spkrs, & the hatch between, sort of.. so I should just be able to hear the spkrs enough, swinging the aerial around with hatch open. Good plan/ last thing to try.

Thanks, Capt

Looking at the Ofcom Pembrokeshire FM coverage map, it is wildly optimistic and ignores some severe terrain blocking.

Looking at the Ofcom Pembrokeshire FM coverage map, it is wildly optimistic and ignores some severe terrain blocking.
But of course - it is Ofcom.. however the best I could scrounge-up.

There are other , better resources out there, like 'FMscan' - but those require sign-in/membership / not suited to a general post on open-forum.

Not a fortune and could be useful elsewhere.
I don't have TV, so won't be much use I don't think:
If it's an FM aerial, it won't be much use for TV, but might be able to boost a sensitive portable radio or whatever.

I thought the aerial was an omni; in which case I doubt that twiddling with its orientation would yield much if anything. If you want to try, instead of trying to 'hear' improvements whilst on the job, why not simply turn the antenna by a few degrees (as surely you must have it pointing roughly in the right direction already), studying results for a day, then repeating in the opposite direction.

Personally, I think you're snookered, as even throwing money at getting a good FM stereo signal on the off-chance of reasonable success, I really don't think your tuners warrant it or maybe possibly within the capabilities of your ancillary kit. Don't think internet radio, of which I have no knowledge/experience, would be the best way forward, if feasible in your location/situation.

As mentioned, I have experience of trying (and failing) to get FM stereo in Pembrokeshire, but in Saundersfoot on the flat south coast. Though if you're nearer the Preseli Hills north of Haverfordwest, albeit 9 (crow's miles?) away from the TX, it could be tricky indeed. Matter of interest, do you have decent portable radios in the house and if so, what's reception like on their antennae? It would be a guide if nothing else.

@Mike Reed hi thanks for this post- I did read at the time, but forgot to follow up. I get ok signal with portables, but hardly tiptop.

Actually Mike (& as a general update), I did reposition the aerial.. & so far it's been an improvement. I only set it back 5 foot & a tad higher/ all I could do, & whether it's the weather now NOT in high pressure, time will tell but it's defo better. I believe high pressure can add some gremlins. From experience I recall so.

I do get a very slight sibilance on voices (& piano) but, bar this niggle it's clearer & very enjoyable. Beggars can't be choosers. Lovely tuner no doubt.

I'm not sure of one ever expects perfection with FM signal-? I guess it's likely a lottery as to one's location. Especially Wales' valleys hardly conjusive for perfect signal, unless you get lucky out here.

Thanks, Capt

I do get a very slight sibilance on voices (& piano) but, bar this niggle it's clearer & very enjoyable.
Glad you're getting enjoyment from it. Guess it's up to you to research your geographical reception potential and decide whether it's worth/not worth throwing effort and money at it and the info. on this thread is considerable.
I'm not sure of one ever expects perfection with FM signal-? I guess it's likely a lottery as to one's location.
I expect and get perfection, whether that was in Canterbury or Ramsgate in the past or here in Norwich and it's excellent, (and free !) but 'taint the wild west of Wales ! ;) It would be interesting to study an Ordinance Survey map of your area and plot the direct signal route from your Transmitter, because you're prob. getting a fair omni signal (which is one of the reasons why portables work well in areas where tuners don't). However, I think any 6 plus element aerial mounted outside as high as poss. will afford an improvement. However, DIY antenna erection, whereas not rocket science, does require a head for heights !

advertisement

Back